PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was at over 90 pipes at one time. I culled the herd to the best smoking American artisan pipes and I have plenty. I still look at pipes all the time but so far there have been non that caught my and for the right price. It will be a cold day in hell before I buy some pipe I am no crazy about and almost and it doesn't fit my strict criteria for buying another pipe.

There is one pipe i do pine for. It would be a Dunhill 1957 LB or LBS for my birth year pipe. After 10 years of looking I haven't found one yet.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Every time I count I come up with a different number. Duh! I have about 80 that are regular smokers. Because I was in the business for quite a few years I've owned several thousand at one time or another and decided a long time ago that I don't need to own them all. 80 gives me enough for a reasonable rotation so they have some time to rest. If I were filthy rich I would probably own enough so I would not have to smoke the same one twice in a month (I believe in resting a pipe) . That would be about 300 or 400 pipes... oh, well. Buying new pipes I don't need can become an addiction that I don't want to, or can afford to aquire. puffy

Last edited:

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I used to have to daily check in on a gentleman, RIP, who was a one pipe, one tobacco guy. But, I'd rather have variety in my life.

We get some that think it's more macho to say that they only have one pipe, one tobacco, just a tool. They also think it's some sort of badge of honor to only have one shirt, one pair of pants, and one pair of underwear. YMMV puffy
I wouldn’t diss Reacher if I were you, although he doesn’t smoke a pipe. Now, Tom Cruise you can diss all you want.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I have about 50 pipes, none very expensive, and all promised to be the perfect pipe at the time. But, I am fickle and destined to see the next “shiny object” as something I can’t live without. My choices, over the years, have been emotional more often than practical.
And, if I’m honest, the “idea” of being a one pipe/one tobacco codger does appeal.

Derby

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2020
As I've retold many times, my dad smoked from age 15 to 65 and only owned one pipe at a time. He might have had one other burnt out pipe as a back-up, but it was essentially one pipe at a time. Those were the days when you could get standard grade tobacco pipes at the newsstands in big cities. He smoked pretty much from just after breakfast to bedtime.

Children don't have a great sense of time, so I can't be sure, but it seemed most of his pipes lasted about a year. Also, he smoked only Granger from the foil pouch. On the rare occasion when someone gifted him with a tub of Granger, he'd fill old foil pouches from the tub.

He quit pipe smoking, and all smoking, when he turned 65 to take a job at a non-smoking campus to run their computer lab. He lived well into his 89th year licensed to drive without glasses.

As a naval officer during WW II, he served on minesweepers in the Philippines and was eventually the skipper of a 'sweep. He took his pipe to sea, smoking when the smoking lamp was lit.

Later I served as an enlisted radioman on a minesweeper during the Vietnam War, and I joked with him that we were a minesweeping dynasty. He served on, and skippered, the old YMS ships, and I served aboard the USS Gallant MSO 489.
I think I’ve said it before, but if not, thank you for your service.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I started smoking a pipe when I inherited three of my Grandpa Mac’s pipes. When I got deployed to Iraq, I decided to leave these pipes at home and bought a nice basket pipe that I smoked the whole year I was gone.
These many years later, I definitely have more than one pipe?

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
Title edited for caps. Rule 9! jpm

I walked into a bar the other day.......anyway I got talking to a chap who was a long time ex pipe smoker.....in over thirty years of piping he only ever had one pipe at a time!

I guess most on here have a bit pipe acquisition disorder but is there anyone on the forum who follows this practice?
Salute! salute.gif

Reactions: SaxonX

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
More of a comment of practicality. Can’t smoke three at one time.
I’m going to test this theory one day by selecting three separate but complimentary blends in three completely different size, shape, style and brands of pipes - I might even go crazy and further differentiate by smooth, blast and rusticated, British, Danish and Italian, bent, straight and churchwarden, briar, meerschaum and cob (or maybe clay?), and choose a VaPer, English and an aromatic, and sit there rotating from one to the next until all three are smoked, my brain and palate are smoked, or the piping police come to arrest me and cart me away to some gulag for unspeakable crimes against tobacco.

Hmmm, this has serious potential. ?

Please advise.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I’m going to test this theory one day by selecting three separate but complimentary blends in three completely different size, shape, style and brands of pipes - I might even go crazy and further differentiate by smooth, blast and rusticated, British, Danish and Italian, bent, straight and churchwarden, briar, meerschaum and cob (or maybe clay?), and choose a VaPer, English and an aromatic, and sit there rotating from one to the next until all three are smoked, my brain and palate are smoked, or the piping police come to arrest me and cart me away to some gulag for unspeakable crimes against tobacco.

Hmmm, this has serious potential. ?

Please advise.
Why not pop the three pipes with three blends into your mouth and draw on them at the same time? Live mix.