PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have six tampers. My favorite being a Zebrawood tamper that carolinachurchwarden (Matt) made and gifted to me. The rest are nothing special, a bamboo, a SeaWolf Pipes tamper that I got for free at the Chicago Pipe Show last year and a couple of Czech tools. Six tampers is enough...for now anyway.
Carolinachurchwarden was very active here for a while. Is he gone?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Most Forums members are familiar with Pipe Acquisition Disorder and Tobacco Acquisition Disorder, and no one seems to be seeking treatment. Now consider P-TAD, generally Pipe Tool Acquisition Disorder, with the subset with the same acronym, Pipe Tamper Acquisition Disorder. Take a look at the online pages of tampers with multi-colored and swirled handles, unscrew picks and scoops, and holes in the tamper head to allow the ember to breathe as it is tamped. We all need eight or ten of those, to go with the dozen or more Czech tools and pipe nails and folding tools we already have. It's an emergency. We can't live without these. Time is short. Heave, wheeze, sigh, whimper.
because that's a sickiness. Just kidding. I think it's just less common. A lot of us consider tools to be something that is too easily lost to get really into.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
I will confess to a weakness for smoking accessories in general--especially things from the 1920s-1950s--ashtrays from grand hotels on the Riviera, a couple of Dupont lighters (I used daily), and then sometimes things I've admired for years in pre-war advertising (especially that by Hermes Paris featuring pipes) or catalogues (like Dunhill's 1928 "About Smoke"), but which I have never or very rarely seen.

One favorite maker of this period is Eloi Pernet-- best known (at least now, and especially on Ebay) for making novelty knives fitted inside old French coins. But they also manufactured a handsome variety of very fine cigar cutters, as well as an excellent pipe knife fitted with a tamper at one end (that's my own favorite).

I've acquired three of these pipe knives patiently over the years. And since they do come up--in both two- and four-blade models-- I continue to keep an eye out for them. Some are engraved with "Dunhill" on a blade, and occasionally with "Hermes" (either of which can exert an unfortunate influence on a seller's expectations about price).

More recently, I've made much more ridiculous acquisitions--my first "soft antelope pipe glove"--which began appearing in Dunhill catalogues as early as 1914. And then--only suitable for pipes smaller than a Dunhill group 4--a mid-century Hermes pipe rack (in this instance actually made by a Paris silversmith, Ravinet d'Enfert).Accessories 1.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like pipe nails because they are difficult to lose being so inexpensive, but that doesn't mean I don't need extra pipe tools to lay around and provide clutter, I mean cover. Their principle purpose is to be too plentiful, so you can never be without a tamper even if you usually use your thumb. Color and texture help. Any pipe tool that is not easily identified by a non-pipe-smoker is definitely something you need, with probably a back up or two. If someone sees it out of context, and says, what is it? You need that one. The tampers at the SP accessory site in different colors make me feel that no tamper should be purchased in less than three. I like the ones with little holes in the tamper end to ventilate the ember when you tamp. Maybe colorful tampers as dangly earrings for my wife, to provide extras when away from home. I predict an extreme shortage in the near future, so we should all stock up. Store a few in the safe deposit box.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I will confess to a weakness for smoking accessories in general--especially things from the 1920s-1950s--ashtrays from grand hotels on the Riviera, a couple of Dupont lighters (I used daily), and then sometimes things I've admired for years in pre-war advertising (especially that by Hermes Paris featuring pipes) or catalogues (like Dunhill's 1928 "About Smoke"), but which I have never or very rarely seen.

One favorite maker of this period is Eloi Pernet-- best known (at least now, and especially on Ebay) for making novelty knives fitted inside old French coins. But they also manufactured a handsome variety of very fine cigar cutters, as well as an excellent pipe knife fitted with a tamper at one end (that's my own favorite).

I've acquired three of these pipe knives patiently over the years. And since they do come up--in both two- and four-blade models-- I continue to keep an eye out for them. Some are engraved with "Dunhill" on a blade, and occasionally with "Hermes" (either of which can exert an unfortunate influence on a seller's expectations about price).

More recently, I've made much more ridiculous acquisitions--my first "soft antelope pipe glove"--which began appearing in Dunhill catalogues as early as 1914. And then--only suitable for pipes smaller than a Dunhill group 4--a mid-century Hermes pipe rack (in this instance actually made by a Paris silversmith, Ravinet d'Enfert).View attachment 41240
That pipe rack is pretty cool ?

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
... and no one seems to be seeking treatment. Now consider P-TAD, generally Pipe Tool Acquisition Disorder, with the subset with the same acronym, Pipe Tamper Acquisition Disorder.
Always nice to know there is a name for my affliction. Thanks, Tom. It does seem nice to have an unnecessary number of pipe tools even though I always use my favourite, a simple stainless steel tamper with a folding pick and blade. I am bravely fighting PAD AND P-TAD in order to focus on TAD. Only give in to one at a time, unless it makes sense to give in to more than one. Do whatever works for you...I have no answers...

Guppy

Might Stick Around
Sep 6, 2019
Texas
If you made the old man looking one I would LOVE to get my hands on one!...
If you made the old man looking one I would LOVE to get my hands on one!...
I’ve made dozens over the years. I gave away my most recent batch, but if you don’t mind a used one, PM me your address and I’ll send you one. Otherwise, I should be whittling up some more in a bit.
4D209624-DE75-405B-A504-D35F4954A98B.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.