PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most Forums members are familiar with Pipe Acquisition Disorder and Tobacco Acquisition Disorder, and no one seems to be seeking treatment. Now consider P-TAD, generally Pipe Tool Acquisition Disorder, with the subset with the same acronym, Pipe Tamper Acquisition Disorder. Take a look at the online pages of tampers with multi-colored and swirled handles, unscrew picks and scoops, and holes in the tamper head to allow the ember to breathe as it is tamped. We all need eight or ten of those, to go with the dozen or more Czech tools and pipe nails and folding tools we already have. It's an emergency. We can't live without these. Time is short. Heave, wheeze, sigh, whimper.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Most Forums members are familiar with Pipe Acquisition Disorder and Tobacco Acquisition Disorder, and no one seems to be seeking treatment. Now consider P-TAD, generally Pipe Tool Acquisition Disorder, with the subset with the same acronym, Pipe Tamper Acquisition Disorder. Take a look at the online pages of tampers with multi-colored and swirled handles, unscrew picks and scoops, and holes in the tamper head to allow the ember to breathe as it is tamped. We all need eight or ten of those, to go with the dozen or more Czech tools and pipe nails and folding tools we already have. It's an emergency. We can't live without these. Time is short. Heave, wheeze, sigh, whimper.

I had a minor case of PTAD a year or so ago when I picked up a deer antler tamper as well as a hand-carved wooden tamper. Luckily it was only a fleeting case and I recovered quickly.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I really like these...

001-545-0197.jpg

Nice wide base for a gentle, effective tamp.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Never had “P-TAD,” though I don’t begrudge anyone that has. There are lots of very attractive tampers and pipe tools out there. A horseshoe nail is what I use most of the time. If I lose it, I grab another. I just look at the cost of fancy tampers as money I could spend on more tobacco (assuming I want to spend it on something smoking-related). Honestly I kind of do the same with pipes, too. I only have about ten or so, and I’ve been smoking pipes long enough to warrant having a much bigger collection. I guess it’s always been the TAD for me. ?‍♂️
An added plus for the horseshoe nail is that it’s small enough to keep with me. I just tuck it into the case I made for my Zippo. No wondering where I set my tamper.
FEE0E032-BBCA-4467-A13F-64F27F7803F4.jpeg
6E270E3F-F521-4FC8-B0A5-C52738B02783.jpeg
Of course, fingers work too.

Last edited:

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have six tampers. My favorite being a Zebrawood tamper that carolinachurchwarden (Matt) made and gifted to me. The rest are nothing special, a bamboo, a SeaWolf Pipes tamper that I got for free at the Chicago Pipe Show last year and a couple of Czech tools. Six tampers is enough...for now anyway.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Never had “P-TAD,” though I don’t begrudge anyone that has. There are lots of very attractive tampers and pipe tools out there. A horseshoe nail is what I use most of the time. If I lose it, I grab another. I just look at the cost of fancy tampers as money I could spend on more tobacco (assuming I want to spend it on something smoking-related). Honestly I kind of do the same with pipes, too. I only have about ten or so, and I’ve been smoking pipes long enough to warrant having a much bigger collection. I guess it’s always been the TAD for me. ?‍♂️
An added plus for the horseshoe nail is that it’s small enough to keep with me. I just tuck it into the case I made for my Zippo. No wondering where I set my tamper.
View attachment 41024
View attachment 41023
I definitely think I have TAD and that cancels out the rest of the disorders. A pound or two of Tobacco almost always seems like a better buy than a pipe. That is until the rare occasion arises where I absolutely have to have a certain pipe and cant shake it. That hasn't happened this year though.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I don't like folding pipe tools because it's really easy to ding the inside edges of the chamber.
Valid point. I do make every effort to keep the tamper as vertical as possible when using. I definitely don't have to pay the same amount of attention when using the briar tamper that came with my Dragon Briars commission. For my taste, the pipe knife suits me well enough that i find it worth the extra caution.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
View attachment 41024
View attachment 41023
my main problem with this is catching the horses...

Status
Not open for further replies.