PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Most Forums members are familiar with Pipe Acquisition Disorder and Tobacco Acquisition Disorder, and no one seems to be seeking treatment. Now consider P-TAD, generally Pipe Tool Acquisition Disorder, with the subset with the same acronym, Pipe Tamper Acquisition Disorder. Take a look at the online pages of tampers with multi-colored and swirled handles, unscrew picks and scoops, and holes in the tamper head to allow the ember to breathe as it is tamped. We all need eight or ten of those, to go with the dozen or more Czech tools and pipe nails and folding tools we already have. It's an emergency. We can't live without these. Time is short. Heave, wheeze, sigh, whimper.

So true... especially about the Czech tool. Who doesn’t have several of these handy $2 tools laying around? :LOL:

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
This made the order total 95.45 so... ... free shipping yes, but also a sign of multiple disorders I'm afraid. Just as often use my finger or a nail so not really afflicted.
001-545-0237.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lelik

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I used to like the Czech tools and have many laying around. I’ve made several of my own tampers but when it comes down to it, all I need are those .95 cent pipe nails made in China, those are my favorite, I really never use that poker that’s on the Czech tool.

9DAD596A-ABB6-475C-B4DA-F786CFC0CA45.jpeg

Reactions: lelik

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The pipe nail is really all I need, but the Czech tools (one of them dating back to my grandfather), the horseshoe nail, a folding tool, and a willow tamper all add highlights to a bowl. One of these days I'll add another one or three. I believe it is impossible to lose a pipe nail; they'll follow you home.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As Ahi Ka points out, with his index finger, that is every pipe smoker's natural tamper, with a wooden golf tee also serving nicely. But that doesn't mean you can't own a $30 (Savinelli) or a $165 (White Spot) pipe tool.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
As Ahi Ka points out, with his index finger, that is every pipe smoker's natural tamper, with a wooden golf tee also serving nicely. But that doesn't mean you can't own a $30 (Savinelli) or a $165 (White Spot) pipe tool.
Agreed and I have a favourite French made pipe tool I use. I’ve just decided to only use my finger until it’s calloused enough to make @sablebrush52 proud

• Love
Reactions: sablebrush52

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Favorite is a pipe tool. But I also use cut pieces from a cherry tree- have 3-4 dozen of those. If you consider a golf tee a good tamper as I do, I have close to 1,000 of those in reserve. The one on my pull cart has now seen two years of service.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Buy a pound of 3” copper roofing nails and be generous with your pipe smoking friends,or your non pipe smoking friends who have an ear wax problem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm off subject, but following up jpm, if I don't dry my ears out with a q-tip after a shower, they give me trouble. So every medical truism isn't gospel. Much is hooey. Or designed to generate medical fees. And never, never stick your elbow in your ear.

Reactions: edger
Status
Not open for further replies.