PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
They entertain me even if they do cost me quite a bit. And they make for a good October day out with my .35:)

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Not only that, but when you unfortunately have to kill one to protect your life or property, they taste like DIRT!
That's odd, brown bear tastes delicious - very rich in protein, lean, and tasty (sure it tastes like game, but ... nothing a marinade or grinding for sausage cannot solve). Brown bear paws are a special delicatessen around here, a paw dish costs roughly EUR 300. Black bear, well we don't have those around here so ... I can't really say.
I love Mauser, the 98 may be the greatest mass produced item ever.
This shouldn't come as a surprise but the AK 47 is the most produced rifle ever, way out passing the Mauser figures.
I have an old Mannlicher Schonauer that would work in those woods very well.
Now the Steyer Mannlicher is another thing, state of the art weapons.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
I love Mauser, the 98 may be the greatest mass produced item ever.

The large ring mauser, controlled feed action is one of the most iconic and sought after

gun actions, especially for dangerous game (right or wrong).

I'll let you in on a secret. The most underrated, cheapest and least bought and used guns

lurking at the back of most Swedish gun shops (and exported as surplus to the US)

are Husqvarna rifles with original, FN-made Mauser 98-actions! Mostly in the original 8mm Mauser kaliber

or a Swedish necked up version to 9,3mm. It has been called the poor man's Rigby

and in both function and build quality there is not much difference between these and their

Holland and Holland or Rigby counterparts.

This is a picture of mine and the U-shaped cut out on the left side is the thumb groove

for reloading with clips that came on FN's military actions.

mauser9811-600x450.jpg

mauser9851-600x450.jpg

The forum won't let me choose orientation...

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That's odd, brown bear tastes delicious - very rich in protein, lean, and tasty
Not here! They are even worse than black bears. It is tolerable when made into sausage, but only spring bears. Once the fish come in and they get into them they start to taste horrible.
Some people eat them, but with all the moose, caribou, blacktail deer, elk, dall sheep, salmon, halibut, ling cod, etc. to be had in the state of Alaska, it is hard to find time for bear.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
There is an ecological difference between bear populations that may be the reason for your disagreement.

In Canada and Alaska the bears get their winter fat from fish.

Norwegian bears get a lot from domestic sheep that free range in the mountains, of which they mainly consume the fat.

In Sweden, we ruined our salmon rivers by clearing them for timber rafting and we don't have free ranging sheep

so the main source of energy comes from eating bilberry.

What do the bears eat during summer/autumn in romania?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
There is an ecological difference between bear populations that may be the reason for your disagreement.
This certainly has a lot to do with it. The same species of animal can taste wildly different based on habitat and diet. Taste a Copper River King (Chinook) Salmon side by side with a King from the Great Lakes and that will tell you everything you need to know, hahaha. Although if you like Kings from the great lakes, don't do this, because you will never be able to eat them again.
I imagine bears or anything else would fluctuate similarly with dietary and lifestyle changes.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
What do the bears eat during summer/autumn in romania?
They hardly eat fish, especially now days since the trout population from mountain rivers has been decimated. During the summer they are mostly herbivorous - berries, green walnuts, stuff like that. They eat a carcass every so often, although it is less frequent for the bears to attack sheep pens during the summer time. Also they may have ants, bees - beekeepers in the mountain regions, especially after exhausting the little sunflower they have in their regions, may go up in altitude and the bear may attack the bee racks for the honey. During the winter time we have most of the trouble with them, since their population has exponentially grown over the past years. If there is a harsh winder they usually hibernate, but if the winter is mild they come out of their lairs and are desperate for food - some attack sheep enclosures, others attack peasants' life stock, and many unfortunately roam through trash dumpsters in mountainous resorts to the tourists' horror. So yea, alaskanpiper I get your point, different diet here.
he most underrated, cheapest and least bought and used guns

lurking at the back of most Swedish gun shops (and exported as surplus to the US)

are Husqvarna rifles with original
I thought Husqvarna makes professional power tools, I had no idea they made guns ...

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My most prized Mauser was manufactured by FN in Belgium for the Colombian military in the 50's as a 30.06 caliber.
At some point, it made it to the fledgeling Israeli military and was re-chambered to 7.62 Nato (".308" * ) and was refurbed with Israeli and Nazi German parts from the parts bin.
Some time thereafter, it made it to England, as it has British proof marks on the barrel. It eventually landed in a pawn shop in Hutto, Texas, where I snagged it.
I only wish to some day be as well traveled as my rifle.
jay-roger.jpg

* Note to the ballistics minded: I am quite aware of the dimensional and pressure differences between the two, as you see I used "quotations", only added for familiarity's sake. No need to glaze over the eyes of the disinterested with that peripheral debate here.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Husky, the Magnum Mauser is one of my great loves. Mentioning names like .416 Rigby, .505 Gibbs, John Hunter or Jim Sutherland are a sure way to my heart (even better, Westey Richards drop lock double rifle in .500NE).
I have not run across an FN/Swedeish 98, but that is a great looking rifle. . I do have one of the Swedish 96 Mausers (made by Carl Gustaf in 1918) and love it. Its a long beast but fun to shoot and the 6.5 Swede is a favorite.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Speaking of Mauser, I remembered a story from 2010. I was just back from Texas, and obviously I couldn't bring my hunting guns with me, so I was looking for a rifle for medium to large game. Somewhere in the boonies a friend of mine, a cop in a small town called Lipova, took me in the hills in a small village where an ex forest warden wanted to sell his gun. I was stunned when I picked up the piece and to my absolut surprise I could clearly read "Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken in Berlin". I was literally holding Mauser's grandfather in my hands, this particular model being made in 1901, with Krupp steel imperial inscriptions and the whole 9 yards. I am not sure about that particular piece, but the model did see most of its action in Brazil in some rebellion and in the second Boer War. I took the piece out in the hills and I fired it, it was chambered in 7x64 ... dead accurate, the scope mounted being a 1950 Henzolt (old Zeiss factory). I ended up not buying it, it was a 100+ year old weapon ... I wonder to this day if I did not make a mistake. It could have been restored, making up for an amazing antique.
Further down there is me in my mid 20s, I believe it was in 2009, with a 1939 make Mauser 98. My cop friend, who has now passed away, had bought it from Austria. They apparantly found a batch of these babies in 1954 in a warehouse in Austria. They never saw action during the war, and ended up being sold for hunting purposes. It was mint condition, you could even see the Nazi eagle with the swastika engraved in blued Krupp steel. The piece ended up with my friend's brother in law. I told him that if he ever should consider parting with I would pay premium for it - in remembrance of my friend.
IMG00257-20101024-1011.jpg

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
And one more for the Mauser lovers, just yesterday I ran across a hunting partner of ours - he restores guns, and he is finally parting with his 1980 Mauser. Below are some pics (in Romania engraved weapons are very sought after). Asking price EUR 2000, and it comes with 2 Bushnell scopes, 1.5-6x40, and 8-12x58 ... not a bad asking price, just the fast mounts for the scope being somhere north of EUR 500, although my wife will kill me if I buy a rifle, given that I use my browning maybe 5 times a year.
20190426-125953.jpg

20190426-130002.jpg

20190426-130006.jpg

20190426-130015.jpg

20190426-130024.jpg

20190426-130125.jpg

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Engraved guns are not my cup of tea but I do appreciate workmanship in any form.

If I am to critique the gun that is a beautiful, rather deep cut, relief on an old FN military action.

However the barrel looks original but unfortunately with new sights and strap mount.

The stock and scope mounts are also new and nowhere near matching the quality of the action.
lochinvar, the old -96 is also a great gun and the build quality on the Carl gustaf and FFV are equal to

the Husqvarna -98. Husqvarna -96 are not (but almost) as good as it was a rush job during WWII to get more rifles out to the

drafted men and later the equivalent of the NRA. I have one of the latter as my long range target gun.

You just have to be aware that the -96 action was built around a black powder load and are not made for

the pressures that can be achieved with modern smokeless powders.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Husky, yes the 96 is not what the 98 is, as much as I love their super slick action, I wouldn't make it the basis of a project if rechambering was involved. That's why we have the 98 and it's children to play with. Today with original examples ticking up in price, the CZ's current modified 98 action is solid choice for me. Decent out of the box and with a little work, they are a smooth customer. The other modified 98 action that I love to use is the 1917 Enfield .30'06. It's tough as a tank and you can use it for cartridges up to the .505 Gibbs....I think even to the .577 T-Rex. Unmodified they are great, the only oddity being their cock-on-closing action.

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the pre 1964 Winchester model 70...another modified mauser action...It's arguably one of the finest sporting bolt actions ever commerically produced. Also while we are at it, I'll put the 03 Springfield up against a mauser 98 any day of the week. Also the old Krag is another nice action...Don't let the fact that the 30-40 is a bit anemic or the fact that the side loading box mag is ugly as hell fool you. The action on a Krag is glass smooth and reliable as any. You just have to keep in mind that older Krags need mild loads but the later production Norwegian Krags can actually be rechambered and rebarreled to 30-06.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
@lochinvar
today with original examples ticking up in price, the CZ's current modified 98 action is solid choice for me.
I had Africa dreams myself once and played a bit with heavier calibres, mostly 458WM. I actually have what may very well have been the last, new, unfired Brno 602 in 375H&H. As a project I am remaking the stock in a more classic safari fashion.

Do you have any boomers?

Status
Not open for further replies.