PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Much prefer my old boy to matches. Just so much more convenient. I require a few more relights than the veterans.
I had a look on line for these old boys…they are expensive compared to a zippo and ridiculously expensive when compared to a Clipper; in the region of £120+ on Amazon.
They were cheaper (used) on EBay but I don’t know if it will be possible to get replacement parts, if needed, in the UK?
They look great though. ??

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
I've collected a few expensive accessories, not lighters...knives, pens. I lost an expensive pen once, luckily for me I kept a more expensive version in the drawer. Same with pocket knives, carry one daily and lose one bi-annually...

So, I'll probably not be paying more than what I paid for an "expensive" Zippo, purchased from Paul's, about 30 bucks. Left the little round price sticker on it, because I thought it was quaint.

7rlpNtYl.jpg

• Love
Reactions: OldWill

VirginiaMan

Might Stick Around
Nov 28, 2021
Elkview, WV
I had a look on line for these old boys…they are expensive compared to a zippo and ridiculously expensive when compared to a Clipper; in the region of £120+ on Amazon.
They were cheaper (used) on EBay but I don’t know if it will be possible to get replacement parts, if needed, in the UK?
They look great though. ??
Definitely isn’t a necessity. Although if kept clean mine is very reliable, and I never burn my fingers like some other lighter designs.

StPaulPiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2021
St Paul, MN
Over the last 35 years I've used every kind of tobacco igniter there is, including butane lighters, matches, toaster, coals, stove-top, furnace pilot-light (etc.) :), and finally settled on a pipe-modified Zippo as the most reliable, least putzy, all-weather pipe lighter to use. I do not taste any difference. A flame is a flame, and it just works. For me. You do you.

Reactions: greysmoke

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Good one brother. I am a black powder enthusiast and am capable of making fire with flint and steel. It's actually a fun activity and learning experience to do with kids to show them how our forefathers had to make fire. There have been a couple times while out in the woods when I forgot my modern day lighter and had to use flint and steel to make a very small fire from which to light my pipe. You do what you got to do buddy.
@blackpowderpiper I'm going to a bushcraft skills course at Tribe Bushcraft this year and would like to learn to light fires (and my clay pipes) with flint & steel.
I thought you might be interested in the Sealed Knot Battle of Nantwich I went to last month:
I had a pint and a clay with one of the re-enactors!
My other most memorable clay pipe smoking was getting it lit from the blacksmith's forge when I went to see Redcoats & Revolutionaries at Cromford Mill. Dad calls the blacksmith "the pipe lighter":)

Reactions: blackpowderpiper
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Another old post, but here is my 2 cents.
I've got matches, Bic lighters, Zippo lighters, and nice pipe lighters. I'll get in moods where I'll use a particular one, but usually I just grab my Bic. It's simple and easy as long as it's got fluid. Though like the OP said, when I'm out in public lighting my pipe with a Bic I always wonder if people think I'm lighting up a bowl of MJ or worse. LOL

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I've been using matches when smoking at home lately, and I must admit, it's easier to do the charring light with matches. It also feels more gentle on the tobacco. I may have been converted for home smoking. Zippo and bic is still what I go to on the go.

Reactions: greysmoke and avail

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
I've been using matches when smoking at home lately, and I must admit, it's easier to do the charring light with matches. It also feels more gentle on the tobacco. I may have been converted for home smoking. Zippo and bic is still what I go to on the go.
I agree re: lighting with a match, seems more readily done.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
We've had opinions, and many statements as to what one prefers. Many of us use both matches and a variety of lighters. I don't think there's any more to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.