PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
what I'm saying is did someone apply oil to the stummel? There is moisture in oil and will make it smoke wet.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
what I'm saying is did someone apply oil to the stummel? There is moisture in oil and will make it smoke wet.
Thank You for this piece of information Sir,did not know this before, now a little update on this sucker,after drying my baccy more that I would think is neccessary,rounding the tenon hole a la castello and enlarging it very light with a file,and sanding paper I'm eventually discovering these manipulations brought quite noticeable improvements to how it smokes,gurling is almost all gone,at least for now,,

Reactions: BROBS

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

Every photo I've seen of stummels cut in half or broken show there's very little migration of any thing into the briar, either from the outside surface or from the chamber.

Heavily varnished stummels don't smoke wetter than unfinished, though there's a psychological aspect. So, I think the application of oil-—at least to the outside!—is not the root cause of gurgling. Hate to think what oil inside the chamber would taste like-! (Yeeech.)— and there'd be a horrible gurgle.

Reactions: mau1

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
when applied to the rim etc it wicks into the bowl...
best to let them dry for a good period then give them a go.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I apply a very light coating of mineral oil to the rim after every time I scrub the lava off. Never a trickle into the chamber.

Drying a long time is a good thing, but much quicker to use the heat in the heel to drive moisture out.

Reactions: BROBS and mau1
Status
Not open for further replies.