PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just not a long ago I got me an estate Dunhill straight shell Briar form 70ies, and now I when I had smoked it few times I have noticed this very pipe is starting to show some symptoms of the slight gurgling, I checked the drilling and mortise, both these seem to be spot on(drilled something like 3,8mm-to 4mm)stem tenon is not bad either, and is far from being narrow, stem fits well and flush,whereas the airhole in the button is a bit small, I did enlarge it very slight,but that did not add any improvements, now are there any other remedies' which may help to solve this, does rounding/bevelling the stem tenon end a la Castello' bring any benefits?Thanks for the advice

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Just an offhand question, before you start to alter a very fine pipe: have you dried your tobacco enough? Also, do all tobaccos make the pipe gurgle or just one in particular?

Reactions: lightmybriar

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I have a sense that beveling the end of the stem does make a difference sometimes. I use a countersink bit. That sharp edge does cause turbulence and that, in turn, can cause condensation. At any rate, it doesn't seem to hurt anything to ease that shoulder. Most top makers do this to all their pipes. They probably wouldn't do so if it wasn't important.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd go with the drying idea. Put a few bowls in a pottery cereal bowl and let it sit for a day or two. Pack it firmly but not too tight. Tamp it at each re-light. I smoke many straight pipes and do not encounter much gurgling. Also, drier blends to begin with might help.

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Paul, I'm sorry to hear this. I don't know, if any manipulation of the tenon draw hole would make an improvement. I for example have two older Castellos without the funnel shape draw holes on the tenons, which do also not tend to smoke wet.

When I had a Dunnie with similar problems, I used to smoke it with one of those inner tubes, which made the smoke less moist. I guess, if you don't have the tube of that very pipe, you could just put in a tube of one of your other Dunhills. As far as I know, drilling and tubes of these pipes are uniform.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Tubes are sized, actually, that number is part of the nomenclature. That would be my first thought too - put the innertube in, see if it helps. If not a very small bevel on that tenon face wouldn't devalue the pipe and may help with the moisture.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I wonder (and am probably wrong) about what the temp and humidity conditions are where you smoke and their impact on "gurgling"? We've had some crazy fluctuations down here in Florida and I've noticed some gurgling on a couple blends that usually don't when I smoke them outside.

Hmm. Could this be a contributing factor? I'll let the smart guys here correct my science.

ron123

Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
The very pipe, apparenty come with no innertube,
I wouldn't worry about not having the innertube. AFAIK, they just throw them in with the pipe as a nod to bygone days before pipe cleaners were cheap and readily available. I don't know anybody that smokes Dunhills with the innertubes in place. I'd go with the tobacco drying suggestions, or trying a different blend in it.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
What is funny to notice my newer White Spot Dunnies are performing without any signs of gurgling similarly to my Castellos, and now this ole stubborn sucker started to show character' tenon drill and the mortise draft hole in all these Dunhills seem to be identical to each other, maybe this was not smoked a long time and so far I have had only maximum 4 bowls from it

Status
Not open for further replies.