PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
NOW, if you need a list of whose advice to trust implicitly, here's a very short list, just a couple:
Warren, jpmcwjr, mso489, sablebrush54, chasing embers, jaytex, anthonyrosenthal, Cosmic, craiginthecorn, crashthegrey, scloyd, npod, olkofri, fishnbanjo, pipestud, hoosierpipeguy, carolinachurchwarden, mikethompson, paul, workman, bnichols23...... [gasp wheeze choke choke choke]
I appreciate being added to the list but honestly I just started 7 months ago and I'm learning something new everyday. Seeing my name with all of these Hall of Famers made me smile.
Anyway, as for wiping out the bowl. I use a plain dry paper towel after every smoke.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well I know I've made it when Bill puts me in Hall of Fame! I'm blushing over here.
As for the wipes, they have plenty of time to dry between smokes (like weeks!) so I am not to worried about residuals. As for their cleaning nature, goodness Cosmic how strong were those wipes? The ones we use are essentially thin sheets of paper and water.
Scloyd, some guys have been doing this for years and years and are still learning new things. That's part of what makes this so much fun.

As for their cleaning nature, goodness Cosmic how strong were those wipes?

Just regular unscented baby wipes. You can even clean an engine with them. When my daughters were babies, the pediatrician had told us to use a wet washcloth after using the baby wipes, because they will cause rashing. The chemicals are really strong to quickly get the shit off a bay, but then you have to wipe the chemicals off the baby afterwards.

readix

Lurker
Oct 3, 2018
This is gonna be probably a really, really stupid question, but.. Do you actually taste the flavor of the tobacco in your mouth? Or is it more like you smell it when it's coming out? :oops: I'm so confused

May 4, 2015
Blow every third "sip" or so out your nose to experience all the blend has to offer.
This is a great thread, with some of the sagest wisdom available. Heed it and you'll be just fine!
Welcome!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If I exhale the smoke out through my nose, I generally taste it more. Some people refer to that as "retrohaling", so if you see that term, that's all it means. And when people say the slower you smoke, the more you taste, they're not lyin'.
EDIT: Aaaaand Tom beat me to it. Hiya, Tom!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
zombomeme-09092018214355.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome. An afterthought on cake building. You will have a carbon layer, a blackened layer, inside your pipe, and you want that. You have the option of building cake, a thickened layer inside the bowl that is eventually periodically reamed (bored out with a reamer tool), or if you prefer, you can wipe out the bowl after every smoke with a paper towel or paper napkin or baby wipe (some use) and leave just the very thin blackened carbon layer. I have done this for years and decades, and it maintains the size of the chamber and the pipes smoke as well as those with cake. I like this method, as does a devoted minority of Forums members.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Regarding cake, I just bend the pipe cleaner I've used into an U shape and use it to clean the inside of the bowl after each smoke.
It's handy and it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.