PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Had a similar situation a couple years ago, except no letter and the box stood at my local post office for weeks. I finally went in to inquire and got the same runaround; USPS said US Customs was requesting it back, and US Customs was insisting they never make any such requests - they just seize when it's still in their possession as needed. I asked USPS why they weren't sending it back to US Customs if that's what the process was and they had no answer as to why. After a couple more weeks, they sent it directly back to Germany to the retailer I ordered from. The retailer graciously reshipped using DHL and I had the box in my hands not a week later.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Had a similar situation a couple years ago, except no letter and the box stood at my local post office for weeks. I finally went in to inquire and got the same runaround; USPS said US Customs was requesting it back, and US Customs was insisting they never make any such requests - they just seize when it's still in their possession as needed. I asked USPS why they weren't sending it back to US Customs if that's what the process was and they had no answer as to why. After a couple more weeks, they sent it directly back to Germany to the retailer I ordered from. The retailer graciously reshipped using DHL and I had the box in my hands not a week later.
And, voila, aged tobacco…

Razorback

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2019
Atlanta, GA
@Ziven I received a similar letter last November specifically for an international import parcel of pipe tobacco.

I appealed it and I won my case.

If you want details on how I won, PM me and I’ll show you the info. I researched the PACT Act and also USPS’s Prohibited Articles list and proved to USPS via their online appeal system that pipe tobacco is exempt from both.

Woo

(Formerly Ziven)
Oct 1, 2021
Jersey City
@Ziven I received a similar letter last November specifically for an international import parcel of pipe tobacco.

I appealed it and I won my case.

If you want details on how I won, PM me and I’ll show you the info. I researched the PACT Act and also USPS’s Prohibited Articles list and proved to USPS via their online appeal system that pipe tobacco is exempt from both.
Thanks for sharing, I gonna try to do that too!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
It's my understanding that Federal Law prohibits the shipping of cigarettes, and roll your own tobacco, and because people use pipe tobacco as roll your own tobacco it can be subject to seizure and penalty. Some states, such as Washington where I live prohibit pipe tobacco being shipped via mail because of the roll your own use. Unfortunately, most retailers such as SmokingPipes .com won't ship to me anymore because of this. If I want to order from them, I have to have it shipped to my brother in Oregon.

Yambo

Might Stick Around
Jan 11, 2023
Spain
A buddy has been getting 1-2 tins in from an online retailer in the USA quite regularly
He is careful to buy in small quantities and changes up his address, and using other family names, so the Oz Customs don't cotton on
AND the shipments are usually labelled "hobby supplies" 😁
I do the same with a retailer whose name starts with a number. Is it the same? I'd like to know if there are others. DM if necessary.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
It's my understanding that Federal Law prohibits the shipping of cigarettes, and roll your own tobacco, and because people use pipe tobacco as roll your own tobacco it can be subject to seizure and penalty. Some states, such as Washington where I live prohibit pipe tobacco being shipped via mail because of the roll your own use. Unfortunately, most retailers such as SmokingPipes .com won't ship to me anymore because of this. If I want to order from them, I have to have it shipped to my brother in Oregon.
Oregon is looking to pass a ban on all flavored tobacco, so your brother might not be able to get shipments much longer either. They wrote the bill as an "emergency", which is what they do with pretty much all legislation these days in Oregon, so it goes into effect immediately when it passes.

I'm currently stockpiling tobacco.

Reactions: metalheadycigarguy