PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I agree with pianopiper, Edward G. Robinson Blend is an excellent tobacco to add a bit of Latakia to your rotation. It has a small amount of Latakia, as a condiment, is readily available and is relatively inexpensive.

By the way, I'm also an Orthodox piper.

Dino

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
The lightest Latakia blend that I know of is Mac Baren Plumcake. The Latakia is in there but is so unobtrusive that, if you weren't looking for it, you would probably miss it. Plumcake is more of an American rather than what most would call an English tobacco. It's also one of my favorites.
Here's the TobaccoReviews.com description, if you're interested: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/709/mac-baren-plumcake.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
When I want A English style tobacco on the lighter side I reach for either Lane Limited: Crown Achievement

or Peter Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme. Both of these tobaccos are not too heavy in the Latakia.

And have enough different types of other tobacco leaf

to keep things interesting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not surprised people get tired of Latakia, though it is a superb condimental tobacco, but it's thrown into everything, along with Perique, and it doesn't work its magic with everything, so of course people get irked with it. And there are so many other fine condimental leaves that get short shrift. So blenders take note.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Third recommendation for John Cotton's No. 1. Also try the "No's 2 & 3". Then Smyrna. Each with increasing amounts of latakia, though none are "bombs".
These are all fine smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.