Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Gaslight is definitely not "easing" back into latakia unless you want to blow the top of your head off with a lat bomb. Might scare you away again. Just sayin...
I don't get Gaslight as a Lat "bomb". It knocks me on my ass due to, I think, the red VA's. YMMV.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Third recommendation for John Cotton's No. 1. Also try the "No's 2 & 3". Then Smyrna. Each with increasing amounts of latakia, though none are "bombs".

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I've sworn off Latakia blends due to my general disdain of the leaf, but I want to keep an open mind and try some again.

I recommend a whole new approach: Captain Black, Black Sea! Sweet and Smoky make for a pipelicious smoking experience.
Something you feel really showcases the leaf in all its glory.

Easy: Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake!

For the lightest touch of latakia, I suggest GLP's Laurel Heights. It has so little latakia in it that I actually got into a scuffle with Greg over whether there was any in there at all. I was convinced that he had forgotten to add it to his own blend. It adds a leathery quality to the Virginia without that nasty burning wood taste.
Bothy Flake is a latakia blend where the latakia is transformed by the Scotch, making it more fruity than smoky.
Also, Savinelli's English, is a well balanced Latakia/Virginia, where I get the most balance between sweet and savory, without being slapped in the face with latakia.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I am not a a latakia fan, but I’ve the occasional bowl of FM and EMP that I didn’t mind too much, and I can see how condimetal amounts could be alright. I’ll have to try Laurel Heights.
@Cosmic: what kind of Scotch did they use on the Bothy Flake? If it’s an Islay malt that might be too much smoke for me no matter how little lat is in there.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Ted’s Pipe Shoppe Blend #1, delicious light English blend. Mark Clymer owns the place and they are located in Tulsa Oklahoma.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Honestly, if your looking to get into English. I would say Maltese Falcon. Its a Mild lat , but very good!

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
Orthodoxpiper, we seem to have similar tastes. I haven't found a GLP or C&D blend (they come from the same factory I believe) I'd buy twice besides Opening Night. I rarely reach for a blend with Latakia in it. EMP is my favorite but Peretti's Royal Blend is about to dethrone it.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
Yep, there is a topping or casing that runs through many of their blends that I don't care for. Different flavor from each blender. Maybe it's just their style that doesn't fit my style. Dont take it the wrong way, I've enjoyed just about every bowl I've smoked but I have a few dozen jars that will sit for months on end before curiosity get me to try one again. Most of the time it's one and done. 90% of my smokes are McClelland or Euro Va/VaPers which are a much different style than American blends. I am spoiled with a wide cellar.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
I will recommend Drucquer & Sons, Inns of Court, for a delicious virginia/oriental forward blend with slight latakia. Red Rapperee a good choice for medium. And Erik Stokkebye 1882 for a full bodied;but honestly I dont know the full bodied realm of latakia.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
1882 Is ok... not that great .. Ashton , Bengal, F&K slices, oddesy, crap I cant spell. Or check out Arango bulk!

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
dethmutt - I was a big fan of McC and I do prefer SG and G&H for manufacturers, so our tastes may align very well. The death of McC and the now frequent shortages of the other two can make purchasing difficult.
John Cotton #1 seems to be the standout here. I'll definitely get a tin of that, and I see mso recommend the Nat Sherman so much that I feel compelled to give it a go. Will probably chuck the HH Latakia flake on there too, to see what stoving does.
Thanks for all the recommendations! Just about everything has made it to my list. Now I need to open about 50 tabs of tobaccoreviews to truly settle on the final three!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Easy-peasy: Get John Cotton's #1 Mild, John Cotton's No's 1& 2, and Smyrna. Then you go up the ladder in latakia strength, AND you're buying American.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Hmmmm, you don't like Latakia and you are looking for a Latakia blend?. This let me scratch my head. Maybe you should look at a blend with just only a little bit of Latakia. I am thinking at GH Bob's Chocolate Flake which has Virginia, Burley and 8% Latakia with mild cocoa and vanilla flavoring. It's definitely not a Latakia blend but more of a cross over between aromatic, Virginia and English blends where Latakia is not on the front.

Looking at what you smoked from the Dark Master, I would say you chose the wrong blends from Greg.
I would suggest GL Pease Piccaddily, Maltese Falcon and Kensington.
McClelland is gone or I would have suggested Frog Morton On The Town.
C&D - Get Sweet English.
Dont smoke extremely strong Latakia blends, they will mess with your oral chemistry if you oversmoke.
Cheers,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.