PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I had a full bent Kirsten 20 years ago and got ride of it because the bowl was too small. I must have changed my puffing style because my refurbished Kirsten I find is a pleasant 45 minute bowl. I would recommend getting a large bowl however. :puffpipe:

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Really nice to hear that there are still people out there who will do something kind without expecting something in return. That is so cool! Hopefully you will get the best out of those new additions to your collection.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
I hope Kirsten starts production again!
I have 2, "build your own style" that I ordered from them in the past. A silver-colored medium (Mariner) and a curved gold Large. Best to get the biggest bowl available. Kirsten bowls don't seem to hold much.
I wish they would again make the "Aristocrat" size. It's bigger than the current "Large".

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
Thats awesome. Sounds like a good friend to enjoy a bowl with..and at the marina too!

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
Kirsten Pipes were designed and patented by an engineer at Boeing Aircraft. There is a lot of info on Kirstens in Dave Whitney's book "Old Briar" which is available on ebay or Amazon Kindle for a modest cost.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
..and at the marina too!

The marina is a great place to smoke a Kirsten pipe or do just about anything.

And my smoking doesn't seem to bother the neighbors, even though they do give me some funny looks.

sealx600.jpg

I'll probably be leaving the marina in a week or two, which will mean saying goodbye to friends, at least for the summer. But the deck of my boat is also a good place to smoke when I'm out at anchor.
I'll be keeping in touch when I can. Hopefully there won't be any need for any of those "Where's Waldo?" threads.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Does it unscrew at the base for cleaning?

Th valve at the base pulls straight out, just like the mouthpiece. They are held snugly in place by the o-rings. When both pieces are removed, the shank is just a hollow tube, which you can easily push a tissue through with the ramrod attached to the mouthpiece.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Those Kirstens are intriguing, and I've never heard from an owner who didn't enjoy theirs.
In what part of the world is your marina Phillip?

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I think my Kirsten will become an all-purpose "knock-around" pipe, at least when I am using one of the briar bowls. I have only smoked it a few times, but it seems to do equally well with any type of tobacco.
@ Al - I consider anywhere on Puget Sound to be home.

Jul 12, 2011
I love the idea behind this and their full-bent designs are sweet....
It got the Dragon's mind wandering about a custom cob design with

a bowl change system...I have to run it by some great American

pipe maker friends of mine to see about the right direction to go

in for the shank design....stay tuned and I hope to have a proto in

the works soon....a gasket system built into each bowl, where bowl

and shank meet perhaps my starting point for new design....

Status
Not open for further replies.