PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
There is one other pipe smoker here at the marina where I am spending the winter. I have shared with him my frustrations trying to get a pipe from Kirsten's Pipe Co. (Latest word is the they are not currently making pipes, but they are considering restarting production. - I don't know if any emails from potential customers would help or not.)
Anyway, my friend said not to worry. He had an extra one he was willing to give me. He also gave me two extra bowls, one an unused meer!
Kirsten.jpg

I had only wanted to get two new pipes this year - a Kirsten and a meerschaum. So now my PAD is satisfied, at least until the end of sailing season.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
That is my favorite shape for the Kirsten line. I have a straight s model that I snagged and cleaned up as well as possible.

I did talk to someone at the Seattle store. He said it was a matter of costs and not enough sales. He did say that they would make a final decision soon. I would think that a cnc machine could turn the metal parts very cheaply. The stem and bowl is another matter. I hope that they can make it. Hold on to those bowls. I think that they are scarce. They only had "o" rings in their parts supply.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I love my Kirsten. I'm very jealous that you have a meer bowl. I want one badly. I saw a corn cob bowl for a Kirsten on ebay. It was an MM cob, and was something they actually used to make

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Here is a cob bowl I was talking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Old-Stock-KIRSTEN-Pipe-Bowl-in-Box-Missouri-Meerschaum-Corn-Cob-/261006730258?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc536a412#ht_500wt_949

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Very cool, I didnt know kirsten makes a bent pipe. Its pretty cool. I like the meer bowl, and the MM bowl, cool find Uber

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Philip (or anyone for that matter),

What makes a Kirsten better than say a Quiet Comrade or the like? Thanks.
-Jason

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
What makes a Kirsten better than say a Quiet Comrade or the like?

They smoke quite cool. The stem acts as a radiator. also the inside of the metal stem is rather large, which traps condensation. They're also quite easy to clean, and in my opinion, look really cool.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
@ Jason
I have never had a Quiet Comrade and this is my first Kirsten pipe so I can't really answer your question.
I just discovered Kirsten pipes last fall and doing some questioning of my own, I found they had a very good reputation for giving a cool smoke and being easy to clean. And since they are a local company I decided to get one. Unfortunately this was about the same time they started having difficulties either getting their stems or with their production or something.
It smokes well land I hope Kirsten continues production.
But what struck me even more was the generosity of my friend, who is really not more than an acquaintance. Pipe smokers can be very generous people, and I have noticed the same of sailors. As herbinedave noted, it is nice to know there are still nice people in this crazy world.

shawn

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
That is great for you! Often it seems life to go go go and people do not stop and help a friend or complete random acts of kindness. Tomorrow I'm going to complete three random acts of kindness. See what you guys do to me! Peace my friends.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
I love my Kirsten, bought it last year. Wish I had ordered the Mer bowl for it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.