Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
The last thing I want is to be addicted to nicotine. Pipe smoking can be calming, for some reason except that I like to taste by retrohaling and smell the smoke. I also enjoy smoking meat and wood burning. I love fire.

I'd rather sit and smoke than walk around. Also, I don't clinch.

I have used matches, but then they can be a mess to clean up, so I got a nice lighter with low temperature flame to prevent overheating and tongue bite. I have no interest in using a BIC because I can burn thumb.

Congratulations on your new pipe.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
1) No I don't inhale, but I do retro-hale quite a bit (same goes with cigars). Draw the smoke into your mouth, and exhale through the nose. You'll draw more nic that way, if that's what you're after, and IMO enhances your experience of the tobacco. Especially with blends containing perique.

2) When I smoked briars, I only kept separate pipes for blends containing latakia. For cobs and clays, I don't dedicate to anything.

3) Yes mason jars are good. If I open a big (8 oz or 1 lb) container, I immediately store it in a large mason jar, and transfer a smaller amount to a small mason jar for near-term smoking. The smaller tins (2 oz), I just leave it in the tin -- it's fine for a long time.

4) I've only ever used butanes (bics or pipe lighters). I can't attest as to whether there is some advantage using matches, though many folks will tell you it helps prevent charring your pipe (if you're not careful with your lighter). Again I only smoke cobs and clays so this is not relevant to me.

Enjoy, and welcome to the forums!

falconsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2021
1. Yes, I inhale and retro hale as I smoke.
2. I'm a one blend smoker but if I were to smoke other blends I would dedicate a bowl/pipe to avoid crossover.
3. I don't use jars for tobacco storage. I keep tobaccos in the original container/package it comes in until smoked.
4. I currently use a Bic lighter.

daberman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2021
Atlanta, GA
1) I french inhale and retrohale to intake nicotine. If I inhale directly from the pipe ill cough/upchuch etc..
2) In briars I seperate flavors, but no with cobs...
3) An 8oz jelly jar can hold 2-3 ounces of ready rubbed leaf, or 4-5 ounces of flakes/plugs, this seems like the perfect size to me for storage, gifting, tasting, and cellaring. H.aving different shaped/sized jars seems like a pain
4) Matches are great for flavor, since they burn at a lower temperature. Bics are slightly hotter but obviously way more convenient. Jet flame lighters burn very hot and can lessen the flavor of the bowl.

Reactions: coldbowl57

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of the English blended aromatics, called Lakeland blends, have a heavy rose-geranium flavoring that "ghosts" a pipe, that is, it persists long after a bowl. For those, most people prefer to designate a pipe. For most other blends, you don't have to designate, unless you have particularly sensitive taste for, say, Latakia. So unless you're buying Lakeland aromatics, don't worry about it. If you find you are sensitive to or fussy about other blends, it's no concern.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I never inhale pipe tobacco. You totally lose all flavor when you do that, so I don't recommend it.

I dedicate all my pipes to either genres of tobacco or I will dedicate specific pipes to specific blends. Sometimes you just get lucky and a certain pipe just kills it. For example I had dedicated 2 of my Rad Davis Lovats to my 2007 Stonehaven. Once I began collecting my Jack Howell pipes, I found a Billiard that smokes that Stonehaven just as good as my Rad's. I put one of the Rad's back in rotation in the Vabur genre.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I guess, if you're trying to light the pipe instead of the tobacco.?‍♂️
Nope. But not everyone has your flame acrobatics skills. I certainly don't.

The only pipe I don't have a problem using a Bic with is the Vauen Basic, because whatever coating/finish they used for it made it a Panzerpfeife; but a number of my other pipes have the scars to shew from Bic use. Actually, Bic use is pipe abuse.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
As a former cigarette smoker and nicotinist I had the bad habit of sometimes inhaling to get a fast nicotine kick. But over time I have started to enjoy the tastes more than the nicotine and now I avoid inhaling because I think it somehow disturbs my sensing of the aromas.
I'm a former cig smoker and yes I still inhale every 3rd or 4th puff.

The blends I smoke are on the mild side and have mild nicotine.

Dave4211

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2020
Tennessee
I gently sip the smoke most all the time, inhaling when it's going just right. Not too hot, but not stone cold. It's a balancing act.

Smoke gently and slowly. Smoke your pipe all day if you want to. Clean it at night or in the morning.

In my experience, leaving dottle in the bowl after a smoke makes things bitter and acrid. Empty your pipe soon after you're done smoking if possible.

It's good to have a glass jar or an ashtray to empty it in. Fire safety is important. I like a pickle jar with a lid. Or an ashtray.

You'll get more pipes eventually. Enjoy your pipe.

And, be gentle scraping out the dottle. That will keep the heel of the pipe in good shape.

There's a lot of gentleness to pipe smoking. It really is an art, I think.

I use a Zippo and a Bic. Depends on what I have in my hand.

I use matches and twigs from the fire, too.

Some folks use a pipe lens.

I want to try one if I ever find one.

Reactions: coldbowl57