PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

coldbowl57

Might Stick Around
Aug 12, 2021
Slc, Utah
I know that some( most ) of the following questions, have been asked before but not by me..

1, do you in-hale( like a cigar)?

2, should you have a separate pipe for aromatics/virginia's ?

3, for storage, small (pint) size mason jars? Unless you store more than a few ounce's at a time.

4, Matches or a “lighter” of some kind?

I ask, because my lovely wife took me to the local pipe store. (Bee Hive Cigars ) for the time being, I am limited to one pipe a day( I was told by my grandpa, that each pipe should be used once, and then rest for a day) as a special deal, I received a pipe and an once of ( see picture) also a pack of pipe cleaners and matches plus a lighter. The nice lady who rang me up gave me a cigar box to hold my new acquisition

thank you for your kind response's

Coldbowl57

Attachments

• pipe box.jpg
    pipe box.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 11
  • pipoe.jpg
    pipoe.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 10

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I know that some( most ) of the following questions, have been asked before but not by me..

3, for storage, small (pint) size mason jars? Unless you store more than a few ounce's at a time.

1. I don't inhale.

2. If you are just starting out, sample various genres of tobacco (English, Virginia, Burley, Aromatics) to find out what you like. Cycling them through one pipe is not a huge deal. Once you figure out what you like, then you may want to get a pipe for each genre. Another alternative for trying various tobaccos is using cobs since they are inexpensive and good to have around for various purposes.

3. All of my opened tobacco is in half pint jars as they are the best trade off of size and price!

4. If you are just starting out, then I would recommend a Zippo Pipe lighter. The Zippo pipe insert is also availa le separately and will fit inside and standard Zippo case, so you can personalize. I still only use that mostly, but do have a butane Djeep for travel.

Hope's this helps. Enjoy!

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer

Don't do this!

Only if you want to

Small pint jars are great for opening just what you need for the next smoking period. It also allows you not to have to be so married to the jar once it is open.

Both. You will want both.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California

I ask, because my lovely wife took me to the local pipe store. (Bee Hive Cigars ) for the time being, I am limited to one pipe a day( I was told by my grandpa, that each pipe should be used once, and then rest for a day) as a special deal, I received a pipe and an once of ( see picture) also a pack of pipe cleaners and matches plus a lighter. The nice lady who rang me up gave me a cigar box to hold my new acquisition

thank you for your kind response's

Coldbowl57
I don't recommend inhaling pipe tobacco or cigars. It kind of kills the good part of the taste for me and reminds me of my cigarette days.

Some people claim you should have separate pipes for different tobaccos. I've never done that and I am a happy piper but I'm not that sensitive to what other tobacco has been in the pipe prior to my smoke.

A good idea is to store a few ounces of the same tobacco in several small mason jars. That way, when you open one, the rest stay closed and keep on getting better.

Matches make pipe smoking a more "traditional" and what some may call, "proper" experience but I find that matches just take me away from enjoying the experience. A good pipe lighter is what I call "better" that matches.

Do not store tobacco in a cigar box. It will dry up and end up tasting like paper..... or worse.

Your mileage may vary. :)

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Nah, quit smoking them altogether. Looks too bookmaker or hobo.
LOL. Of all the people here you are the one I picture as nicotine-heavyweight.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. Hell, lately I've even been getting nic-hits from pipes. ? Dunno if I'm accidentally inhaling, but I had ~1/3 chamber of Ennerdale earlier and started feeling kinda sick. It's happened to me lately with other blends too. ?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
LOL. Of all the people here you are the one I picture as nicotine-heavyweight.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. Hell, lately I've even been getting nic-hits from pipes. ? Dunno if I'm accidentally inhaling, but I had ~1/3 chamber of Ennerdale earlier and started feeling kinda sick. It's happened to me lately with other blends too. ?
I just prefer to coin cut them and smoke them in a pipe. Or pack a couple of coins in my cheek, more nicotine smokeless than burning.

Sounds like low blood sugar. Try chocolate when smoking and see if that counters the effect.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Welcome. Firstly you are to be congratulated on having a wife who is thoughtful and generous.
And ask away if you have any questions. The members here are always pleased to answer your queries.

1) No, DO NOT inhale. Retrohale, yes.

2) If you want to smoke different genres of tobaccos, it would help to have separate pipes for aromatics and latakia/Balkan blends as those are the worst at ghosting a pipe. And flushing will reduce, but not exorcise a pesistent ghost.

3) I use mainly small jars, but have a few larger ones - it depends on how much you're storing. If you're starting out, I recommend getting sample-sized quantities until you work out your preferred blends. TobaccoReviews is a good reference resource.

4) I use matches but they aren't good when there is anything more than a stiff breeze

I hope you find a lot of enjoyment and relaxation with your new pipe

1, We obviously don't smoke the same cigars.

2, That depends on whether tasting a little of the previous bowls in the bowl you are currently smoking bothers you. I use different pipes for genres or the stras just tell me what to smoke in which pipe... I have way over 100 pipes now, so...

3, Half-pints. I don't like to open more tobacco that I can smoke at a time.

4, I've got lighters of every style, type, and shape; several different bricks of different types of matches; and yet, I tend to carry a Bic on me at all times, so that is what I primarily use. I may occasionally grab a match, but... a Bic... it's the perfect lighter.