PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
I know, it's mostly about the tobacco inside, but I really enjoy some of the thoughtful and well-done tin art. Since as of next month, we will start to see 30% coverage by no-shit warning labels, my August stocking order will be tin-art focused.
Which are the blend designs that stand out to you as particularly appealing?

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
Is there any possibility that the labels could be in the form of a sticker that the buyer might be able to remove once purchased? (maybe not easily) I haven't read too much of the regs to know.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I was always partial to the older "cartoony" C&D labels. Most of those are gone, some have gotten a fun new design though. Not really concerned with the new warning labels, I just prefer to have my favorites still available. I'm glad I started stocking up when I did.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good designers can take the remaining 70% or 50% of the tin or other package and make something of it. From their point of view, it's a stimulating challenge. The rub is, the money may not be there to pay them, so blenders may retreat to type faces and layout without much art, as they have done in some cases already.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Where is the location of the official start date for this posted? I must have missed it. Thought there was more time.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Black Frigate's got the same art that it had when I first started smoking it in the late nineties. Just a different tin format. They slap that warning label over my ship, and I'm going to be pissed!

May 4, 2015
Where is the location of the official start date for this posted? I must have missed it. Thought there was more time.
The mandate stated 90 days after its release, the new deeming regulations go in to effect - I took that to mean August. Anything that falls under the deeming regulations is subject to the new labeling law, from what I understand.
Is there any possibility that the labels could be in the form of a sticker that the buyer might be able to remove once purchased?
The words "firmly and permanently affixed" appear in the language to thwart just that.

Jan 8, 2013
Well labels are cheap... so I'll gladly pay an extra couple of dollars even, if the tin comes with an extra label I can cover up the stupid warning label with.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Scan existing labels, and print them onto adhesive sheets. Stick these on mason jars. :wink:

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
I would totally buy a brand that had an image of an alligator giving the finger with one hand, pointing to the warning with the other.

Call it "No shit flake".

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
My favorite tin art:

Dunhill Nightcap

GL Pease Gaslight

Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader

Hamborger Veermaster

Any of the Frog Morton Blends (especially Cellar)

Samuel Gawith Cabbie's Mixture (though this might not be effected by the new labels)

Presbyterian Mixture

H&H BlackHouse

H&H WhiteKnight

Bengal Slices

Capstan (simple but nice)

May 4, 2015
Samuel Gawith Cabbie's Mixture (though this might not be effected by the new labels)
Some good choices, but why do you say? Everything imported has to comply as well as domestic-made.

May 4, 2015
Oh, I understand what you mean. It makes the tin ugly though, even though there's "enough" space for it. You wouldn't want to put the Mona Lisa in a frame made of donkey shit.
That was a ridiculous analogy. I apologize ;)

ugh457

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2013
Brantford, Ont.
What if there was a pipe tobacco label site?? My brother-in-law uses a similar type of thing for DVD/Blu-ray inserts...just a thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.