PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I must be lucky. I can't really tell much of a difference. They all feel comfortable to me.
I have a few pipes that I'll never smoke because of it, but were interesting to look at. A Giubileo d'Oro 904 purchased last Spring has an acrylic stem, to my surprise, and lives unsmoked in its leather bound presentation case.

Reactions: anotherbob

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
sorry to ask but why? I personally have not noticed any real difference in stem types. But some people don't like acrylic and I just have to wonder why? Cause I am sure there is a reason.
I’m a vulcanite fan. I don’t mind Amber, Bakelite or Redmonal due to their historical value. To me acrylic is just cheap. No doubt I’m wrong. No doubt this is my opinion. I’ve never had an acrylic stem that I liked.

It’s absolutely a personal decision and if you like acrylic or acrylic doesn’t bother you, then you’re in luck. I’m leaving all the acrylic on the planet to you. Lol.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’m a vulcanite fan. I don’t mind Amber, Bakelite or Redmonal due to their historical value. To me acrylic is just cheap. No doubt I’m wrong. No doubt this is my opinion. I’ve never had an acrylic stem that I liked.

It’s absolutely a personal decision and if you like acrylic or acrylic doesn’t bother you, then you’re in luck. I’m leaving all the acrylic on the planet to you. Lol.
Yeah I just had to see if there was something I was missing. Like maybe it effects the taste but I didn't know it was the acrylic doing that. So it's basically a feel thing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a beautiful pipe, dynamic lines with a lively finish. Maybe it is light enough to be comfortable for you. It is a looker.

My problem with softy bits is that they tempt me to pump my jaw against them and give a kind of TMJ effect. Acrylic is easier on me than that.

The last two pipes I bought from SP -- a Johs and a Ropp -- had Vulcanite listed for the stem material but came with acrylic, but since I can use either, I didn't even mention it to them. I think they may have a young staffer doing the descriptions who can't tell the difference. But if you are sensitive, you might want to call and verify before you buy a pipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: danish and NomadOrb

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's a beautiful pipe, dynamic lines with a lively finish. Maybe it is light enough to be comfortable for you. It is a looker.

My problem with softy bits is that they tempt me to pump my jaw against them and give a kind of TMJ effect. Acrylic is easier on me than that.

The last two pipes I bought from SP -- a Johs and a Ropp -- had Vulcanite listed for the stem material but came with acrylic, but since I can use either, I didn't even mention it to them. I think they may have a young staffer doing the descriptions who can't tell the difference. But if you are sensitive, you might want to call and verify before you buy a pipe.
Out of the three they had in stock, I went with the longest one they had with the deepest chamber, like to get my money's worth.? Of the others in the collection with acrylic stems, they're in the look at only section. I'm even debating having an juma stem made for my big meer skull. It has an acrylic one but I'm just too interested in seeing how it colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.