PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Jenson, what are the markings on the pipes and also style of the Bewlay logo?

Owen

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Billkay, after study in the english/ danish wordbook about substantial I think we agree.

But what does it matter as long as the pipes are good.
Jorgen

owen

May 28, 2014
Also I have an R Martin pipe who I believe was at Blakemar Briars.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Owen,

Standard pipes: Bewlay handwritten and under Standard in block.Other side London Made in block and under the

number,both very small.

I now see that the 139 is also stamped Henley in the wood where the mouthpiece joins,also very small.Funny,

I have another pipe stamped Henley and only Henley somewhere.

Giant Bewlay handwritten ( looks like the standards).London made in block and 010X still small but bigger than the

standards.

B on all three mouthpieces are like the one on your apple.

I hope I did a proper story with this.
Yes,Richard Martin is Michaels uncle. Michael have 2 or 3 times made me a pipe with his uncles stamps when I asked for it.
Jorgen

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Richard Martin 'was' mikes uncle. I believe he passed away some years ago I'm afraid to say. He used to make pipes for Douglas bader, the spitfire ace with tin legs. His favourite pipe was a small smooth Apple.

owen

May 28, 2014
Wow thanks guys,

Jorgen that is great information, how does the letter Y of the Bewlay stamp look? Does it curl over or go back under the word on the 1959 pipe?

SimonG love the Douglas Bader connection.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Oh, it over midnight but I could take one more fill.
On all 3 pipes if you draw a straight linie under the letters some of the Y will be under that linie.

Understandable ?

marvich

Lurker
May 19, 2016
I suspected that the recent flurry of unusually high bids on Bewlay Spirals might have caught the attention of the forums. My curiosity led me to this thread, and prompts this first post. I'll confess to having bid much higher than usual on a several of them, including the liverpool posted here, which I rather coveted. Also I'm putting the finishing touches on an article on these pipes and wanted to photograph its oval made in England stamp, and bumped it up a bit. Lovely pipe, and still a bargain price.
dmcmtk is spot on.The Bewlay Spiral Patents were Sasieni's One Dot seconds, made between 1920-23. When I began accumulating them 7-8 years ago they were often overlooked. I have a dozen in my collection, along with several earlier family-era Bewlay's. I really need to stop buying them, and just finish writing my story.
Also for Owen - the Sasieni made Spirals all had the long-tailed y. The re-issued Spirals produced for the Imperial Tobacco Co. had the more common closed loop.

owen

May 28, 2014
Thanks Marvich, a very generous sharing of highly useful information.

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
BTW, when I took a closer look at the Bewlay small liverpool Spiral [see my pic from a month ago], I discovered a COM stamp that is used on Sasieni pipes. The football "made in england". Then I realized it was the same shape and number as the Sasinei Lancashire...
yet another manufacturer for Bewlay.

owen

May 28, 2014
Londonmake I assumed that you knew. I noticed the pictures on pipephil site. You have a really nice pipe there and another piece of the puzzle falls into place. I notice Mr Lowercase's sandblast has it also.

marvich

Lurker
May 19, 2016
Actually, it was the page from the Sasieni catalog posted by dmcmtk that made me decide it was time to spill the beans. My apologies londonmake for costing you a few bucks. I wasn't sure if you knew or not.
I haven't figured out how to embed photos yet. These will follow soon, hopefully. Here's first part the rough draft:
REVISITING THE DOTS

SASIENI'S First "Seconds"

The BEWLAY SPIRAL Patent
I was just fishing for bargains on old wood when I spotted my first Bewlay Spiral. The birdseye on the pipe caught my eye, but it was the early British patent number that really drew my interest. As luck would have it, the winning feature proved to be its chewed-up stem, since no one else was the least bit interested. Not in a project Bewlay. The reputation of their pipes isn't what it used to be.

I knew right out of the box that I'd landed something special. Once I shortened and recut the stem, the little billiard would look a treat. Badly needed cleaning though. As I began working on the worst of it, a collar of grime in the hollow where the shank meets the bowl, I discovered some additional nomenclature hidden underneath: a small football-shaped Made In England stamp.My bottom fishing had dredged up a pretty good mystery, apparently. What was Sasieni's signature country of origin stamp doing on an early 1920's Bewlay pipe?

As it turned out of course, I was the one who actually got hooked. The usual pipe websites were no help at all, and relying solely upon the scant entry on Pipedia, most online pipe merchants routinely tout their Bewlay offerings as having been made by Barling, Charatan, and Loewe.* Yet I was convinced the Bewlay Spiral I'd landed was a very early Sasieni. I was a novice collector though, and unsure if the nomenclature was truly definitive. The football-shaped stamp had been placed in a very odd location however, tucked down on the lower quadrant of the shank, and unusually close to the bowl. This was unique to Sasieni as far as I could determine.

But I was dogged by the feeling that I must have missed something. Why hadn't anyone else bid on the pipe? Even taking into account the minor damage, the five dollars I paid for it seemed suspiciously cheap for 1920's Sasieni. I needed to see more examples, and kept my eye open.
PHOTO - Cased S510
Bewlay Spirals are relatively rare pipes and only two or three per year will typically appear in online auctions. Somewhat less upon close inspection, as one of these will occassionally prove to be a reproduction, made for the Imperial Tobacco Company as part of their promotion of the brand in the early 1960's.* As a result, this collection has taken seven or eight years to put together. Some acquisitions provided valuable new clues. Others simply rekindled my interest and led the research further afield. I searched the archives on genealogical websites, the databases of digitized newspapers and trade journals. Poured over scores of census documents. From all these sources a coherent story has gradually emerged which goes well beyond my initial suspicion that these Spiral pipes were made by Sasieni. I am now convinced that Bewlay & Co. played a far more crucial role than simply being an early customer for his pipes. They provided the financial backing, business acumen, and worldwide distribution network that Joel Sasieni needed in order to make his start.

Understanding how this came about requires some historical perspective however, as the evidence of their alliance is largely circumstantial. Before getting into the details, have a look at the hard evidence. These are the pipes that earned the Bewlay brand its widely-held reputation.
PHOTOS - PAT. APPLIED FOR
The nomenclature on this pre-patent Spiral dates the initial production to between Sept. 10, 1920 (when the patent application was filed) and Aug. 4, 1921 (when the Patent No. 167103 was published). The script Bewlay signature with a long-tailed fancy y with SPIRAL underneath is consistent throughout. This prototype lacks the usual shape and patent numbers which appear later and is simply marked LONDON ENGLAND over PAT APPLIED FOR. I suspect that relatively few of these were made as I have not seen another.
PHOTOS - S39 and S265
The simplicity of the nomenclature on this pair suggests that they were early production and intended for sale exclusively in Bewlay's London shops. Both lack any origin stamp whatsoever. On the right side of the shank is the stamping PATENT over No.167103, with the shape numbers consigned to the bottom of the shank. The longer billiard has the additional stamp EXTRA, although both pipes are flawless. The exaggerated inward-sloping rims which Sasieni gave to many of his earliest One Dots is also in evidence here.

owen

May 28, 2014
Marvich that is excellent stuff one of the things I most enjoy about the hobby is the effort people like you put in. Owen

owen

May 28, 2014
DMCMTK has previously noted a likeness between a Bewlay I commented on in another thread, a Briarcut, commenting on shape and rustication likenesses. Clearly he has a good eye.

marvich

Lurker
May 19, 2016
DR quality straight grain on this pre-patent. See if the photos work.

Picture%205.jpg

Picture%209.jpg

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
marvich, I enjoy it - and thank you for bringing business into the story which is often overlooked.More of that if you are able to.

A little from " Tobacco Leaves" by Bewlay - year not mentioned but we have a briar specialitè, bent or straight at 5/6 and in real amber 10/6.
"What is the matter, my dear Count ? Do you usually smoke two cigars at once?"

"The fact is,my dear boy,I generally smoke sixpenny cigars,and as I can only get threepennies in this miserable place, I am compelled to smoke two at a time."

Status
Not open for further replies.