PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I use an Elder cleaner to clean my pipes, but it takes a lot of gripping strength and the results are unsatisfactory. Is there a mechanized version of a reamer? Perhaps a Dremel tool?

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
It seems, many use the so called "Pipnet Reamer" as their prefered tool. I have never tried such, but I am happy with my senior type "Kleen Reem". Those senior type reamers can be adjusted to the bowl size. I have pipes from the size of a Dunhill group 1 to a group 6 and it does fit them all.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I like my Pipenet set (but found an older, orange soft rubber set, vs the new clear acrylic which broke almost immediately).

I have a Senor reamer but find the jaws angle almost never matches the side of the bowl correctly, so I only use that as a last resort.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I have a Senor reamer but find the jaws angle almost never matches the side of the bowl correctly...
Exactly, mine is in a box somewhere. The drill part is actually very useful when used carefully to clear the airway.
:)

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Mine, which goes by the name of "Kleen Reem" has blades, which are way more rounded then the Senior's. They fit pretty well, I think.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ah, you are right burleyboy. the Kleen Reem does indeed have a subtle bend, unlike the Senor. Heres a Reborn Pipes blog entry on reamers, covers both and the pipenet style sets as well.

https://rebornpipes.com/tag/kleen-reem-pipe-reamers/

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Triangle scrapers.
triangle_scraper.jpg

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Thats a good article, ssjones! In Fact, that very article helped me making my decision back then, when I bought my Kleen Reem. I got it from the bay for around EUR 8 shipped.
I think a disadvantage of the Kleen Reem is, that the rather uncomfortable "grip" starts hurting me, when I'm reaming badly caked up estate pipes. The pipes, I smoke did never build up that much cake to make me suffer from reaming them with that tool.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Butner here too, for the few times I need it. I use a Case Congress Bluegrass for my carry, but unlike Duane I use it for knife stuff & not my bowls. :)
Bill

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The finest reamers I have found are old Iwan Ries brand which came with leather sleeves for each reamer. They came in multiple sizes, like the Pipnet reamers, but had spiral blades as opposed to straight. Very sharp and efficient. Unlike Pipnet reamers, each came complete with its own T handle.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I get 90% of my reaming needs handled with the British Buttner.
Occasionally, I break out the Kleen Reem as a last resort.
That Buttner is an ingenious little tool.
jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I use it for knife stuff & not my bowls. :)
My Stockman gets used for reaming, plug cutting, and cigar cutting. My hawkgirl gets used for nearly everything else. Why would you use a knife on the outside of a stummel?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have an old Buttner reamed than I bought on impulse really. I've never used it. I don't let cake build up in the bowls and the estates I've bought don't have cake either. But it seems a handy too to have when I do need one.

Status
Not open for further replies.