PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
At the moment I am just using regular old disposable bic lighters, but I'd like to get myself a refillable.
I'm looking at a zippo with the pipe insert.
I have some questions though, do you have to use the zippo brand fuel or can you use generic fuel too?
I noticed that zippo.ca only has about 4 options for lighters with pipe inserts, while zippo.com has pages of different options. Hopefully zippo.com will ship to Canada.
Does anyone know if you can custom order one with a custom design? I would very much like one themed after my favorite artist Marilyn Manson, or maybe the brimstone symbol, or baphomet, or maybe even a skull and cross bones.

Jan 8, 2013
https://www.zippo.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIksnU-rKL4wIVzrXACh00XAxyEAAYASAAEgJt5fD_BwE
I've used Ronsonal brand fuel plenty of times in the past. I normally use Zippo brand fuel though. I bet if you contact them they'll probably swap out any case with the pipe insert. Plus, the above link should help you find what your looking for.

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
Thanks for the link Anthony.
Unfortunately, Zippo's rules concerning trademarks and copyright make it pretty much impossible for me to custom design what I want. For example, anything Marilyn Manson themed is automatically not allowed because it represents an artist, and the sigil of baphomet symbol is owned by the church of satan, etc.
it seems I will have to choose an already existing design of there's that appeals to me, and see if they can swap the insert out.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
If you haven't looked into them yet, I recommend the butane inserts. For me, the butane inserts are a lot easier to work with and can be dropped into any shell. Less odor as well.
On the other hand, I usually just use a bic, so I'm far from a lighter expert.
EDIT: Actually, I shouldn't say that can be dropped into ANY shell/casing, as I don't know that for a fact. But they should fit the standard zippo size.

Reactions: brooklynpipeclub

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Sounds like you may be set on a Zippo, but I would strongly recommend Kiribi Kabuto lighters if you can spring for it. I think it's the best pipe lighter under $100 FWIW. They have a small version and a big version. Easily refillable, fairly wind resistant (maybe not as much as zippo), and flame settings from tiny to flamethrower. A great value for around $70 IMHO.
I am almost an exclusively outdoor smoker and I haven't had trouble in a breeze yet.
They don't have any with goats blood or the prince of darkness or anything but they are black.... :twisted:

Reactions: 3rdguy

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
just looked the kiribi kabuto's up on amazon.ca, they are over $100 CAD, so that's out of budget for sure.
Seems maybe best option, would be zippo case with a butane insert?

Jan 8, 2013
With the Zippo's original or pipe (non butane) lighter's wind resistance, it's close to impossible to beat. And the fact that is costs far less than Kiribi, or other Old Boy style lighters is another win.

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
The only downside I see to the zippos is that I hear that the fuel evaporates over time even if you are not using it.
I'm not planning on smoking anything more than once or twice a week because I see pipe smoking in the same vein as enjoying a nice whiskey or the like, so I am not sure if I will be using the lighter enough for the evaporation to be a non-issue, it probably will become an issue.
Can anyone tell me how long it takes a zippo to evaporate and how much of a deal it would really be?

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
I have several Zippo’s I rotate them. Fill the one I am using until I see fluid at the top of the felting pooling.

Lasts 7 - 10 days.

I smoke twice a day.

You can’t beet a Zippo!

I have a butane clipper lighter as a back up. You can change the flints in a clipper lighter and refill.

Refilling the Zippo is not a problem I don’t mind it drying out, fluid is cheap enough!

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
The problem is, for me smoking usually twice a week, that would only be about 4 lights before I have to refill, not very efficent.
i do believe Anthony when he says that zippo's wind resistance is the best, however, is that enough of a benefit to cancel out the negative of having to refill after 4 lights?
If I smoked daily, or multiple times a day I wouldn't care, because I'd get many lights in before running out, but I only do so occasionally.
I wonder is the wind resistance of a butane insert, like a Thunderbird still decent?

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
Too bad there appears to be no edit option for replies.
another factor is how easy/hard it is to get ronson or zippo fluid in my area, I'll have to look into that myself.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If not getting a good refillable butane lighter, stick with BIC.
I cannot stand the refueling needs of Zippos nor having to burn off the lighter fluid taste and smell.
EDIT: Editing is extremely easy, but has to be done soon after proofreading. Ten minutes, I think.

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
Yes,
I think I will go the zippo case and butane insert route, that seems to be the sweet spot, the compromise. Butane should be much easier to obtain from regular laces like walmart or canadian tire, etc as well.
Now, I'll just have to see if I can purchase just a case from zippo.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
I've got a Xikar Resource II that I like pretty well. It's butane with a built in tamper and scraper. The tamper is a bit too small for my taste but it is nice that it is built in. I use the Xikar High Altitude Formula butane for refills. Works great. Not a windproof lighter like the Zippo but not bad. Apparently Xikar will engrave these also.
I also have an electric arc lighter that can be recharged from a USB port. It is quite windproof, but only works for lighting a full bowl. As there is no actual flame it has trouble when re-lights are necessary.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
One factor not yet mentioned in favor of the zippo is BTU. The naphtha

-based fuel generally used for zippos will burn at a lower temperature than the butane. This helps prevent rim char. (Of course, there are other ways to prevent rim char, and I don't even care about rim char, but there it is.) So with that in mind I'd second Anthony's post if you're going the zippo route. When I did use a zippo, I topped it off every day I smoked. Saves you from decision fatigue and impotent sparks. ;)
Because the worst thing of all is to try to smoke, and find you can't light your pipe!
Edit; upon further reading, I think the difference in temp has less to do with type of fuel and more with fuel delivery: wick vs pressure. Or else I'm just wrong about all of it! :puffy:
2nd edit; Here's the thread I had in mind. http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/experiment-match-vs-zippo-vs-bic-vs-old-boy-vs-torch

Reactions: Usman
Status
Not open for further replies.