Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
I am going to go with zippo as I said, and then later if I decide, get a butane insert, but I will give regular zippo a chance first, it all depends how many fills a regular can of fluid will last.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Because the worst thing of all is to try to smoke, and find you can't light your pipe!
Edit; upon further reading, I think the difference in temp has less to do with type of fuel and more with fuel delivery: wick vs pressure. Or else I'm just wrong about all of it! :puffy:
2nd edit; Here's the thread I had in mind. http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/experiment-match-vs-zippo-vs-bic-vs-old-boy-vs-torch
Not to worry. Any heat source can be used to safely ignite tobacco in a chamber with no harm to the rim. Time, distance from source and BTUs are all variables. You can control the first two easily, the last one by utensil at hand. The study cited above, while impressive in its scope, has too many flaws to be useful.
BTW Zippos are the most iconic American lighters by far. Reliable, cool, customizable and most resistant to wind. I just prefer butanes.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Kiribi all the way. I liked mine so much, I bought my father-in-law one. He was using an ST DuPont, but the lift is more of a fun routine when smoking. I've dropped it hundreds of times and only have chipped the enamel... Fuel lasts forever it seems.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Remember I said I smoke twice a day and my Zippo lasts 7 - 10 days, never filled a Zippo and not lit a pipe so don’t know how long it would last.

I have to multiple light my pipes during my smokes!

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I have a Zippo with a Thunderbird butane insert. One thing to keep in mind is to fully empty the insert before refilling. I had some issues with the lighter being unreliable when not emptying fully first. I have had no issues after I worked out what to do.
I have also treated myself to an old boy and even though they are quite a bit more expensive than the zippo with butane insert, it appears to be very reliable so far. I have found it to be a great investment in my smoking enjoyment.

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Naptha can be bought by the quart very cheaply at any hardware...Zippo/Ronson fuel is naptha for the fluid type lighters. I did buy a can of zippo fuel and refilled it from the quart... lasted for years.

About the evaporation issue for the fluid lighters, a bit of Vaseline jell, gun grease or similar smooge on the zippo insert to help seal it helps prevent it. Zippo's are number 1 for 'keeping it simple'.

But I must admit I now use a variety of Butane lighters.

Last edited:

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
If you haven't looked into them yet, I recommend the butane inserts. For me, the butane inserts are a lot easier to work with and can be dropped into any shell. Less odor as well.
On the other hand, I usually just use a bic, so I'm far from a lighter expert.
EDIT: Actually, I shouldn't say that can be dropped into ANY shell/casing, as I don't know that for a fact. But they should fit the standard zippo size.
+1 on the butane insert for a Zippo. I've had two of them for about three years now and they've been reliable. I like that they allow you to control the height of the flame just as other soft flame lighters.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I bought a brass armor Zippo and sent it into Zippo for a replacement pipe insert and repair the hinge. Haven't used another lighter but maybe 3 times, when the Zippo ran out of fluid. It needs another hinge tightening soon. Free services and the Zippo inserts are free as well. So if you find a Zippo case you like it's an easy process.

I would also enjoy a Zippo with the baphomet on it as well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Naptha can be bought by the quart very cheaply at any hardware...Zippo/Ronson fuel is naptha for the fluid type lighters. I did buy a can of zippo fuel and refilled it from the quart... lasted for years.

About the evaporation issue for the fluid lighters, a bit of Vaseline jell, gun grease or similar smooge on the zippo insert to help seal it helps prevent it. Zippo's are number 1 for 'keeping it simple'.
True, it helps, but the bigger leak is via the wick itself. (with the lid closed, still a major lack of seal.) I am looking for a small zip lock to put the lighter in to save fuel evaporation, as I may go days or weeks before the wind is too strong for my butanes.

Status
Not open for further replies.