PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Just yesterday I saw a consigned tin of my all-time favorite blend, Dunhill Gold Label, listed on a non-sponsor, major retailer for $280/50g. I love the stuff and smoked the last of mine about 2 years ago. I have paid premiums for unicorns before but, I won’t go quite that far...yet:)

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Casual said: ”Interesting idea. What homework allows one to tell if a vintage tobacco inside a tin is recoverable or not?”

You cannot ever be sure that the contents are smokable, but you can research the years that tin was made, make sure you are getting the tobacco from the era you are desiring. Also, you can do a little research on other people’s outcomes with older tins of your chosen blend’s long term viability. Lastly, buy from a reputable dealer and don’t be afraid to ask for more pictures of the bottom, seams along the sides etc.. Ultimately it’s a crap shoot, but a little knowledge can help the odds in your favor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To keep it all in perspective, some folks who manage to unloose a river of cash, nothing will do but to have tailored t-shirts made for $350 each, or name a higher figure. It's a way of saying, my God, I can't imagine what to buy now that I have the five houses and yacht with mahogany trim. Some just don't have the imagination to endow a school for the blind or some other good purpose. Smothering in money? Give it back.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Tins fail but factory dated tins are proof of the tobacco's vintage. I wouldn't pay for vintage without it. Sold 2 8 oz. canisters of the "Scandal" readily enough for ~$150.00 each in 2005. The price has really gone up.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't judge how anyone spends their money and I realize that $750 to some is far less than it is to me, BUT... After reading a thread about "white whales" I saw mention of G.L. Pease Bohemian Scandal. I had no idea what it was, but the name sounded cool so I googled it. I found an 8 oz tin currently for sale for $750 USD. It's TOBACCO! It goes in a pipe and you set it on fire; it literally goes up in smoke. For the budget minded there was also a 2 oz tin for only $225 USD. Must be some AMAZING stuff. Guess I'll just have to pass on that experience.
some people can't enjoy something if they know other people might be enjoying it too.

Reactions: BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
To keep it all in perspective, some folks who manage to unloose a river of cash, nothing will do but to have tailored t-shirts made for $350 each, or name a higher figure. It's a way of saying, my God, I can't imagine what to buy now that I have the five houses and yacht with mahogany trim. Some just don't have the imagination to endow a school for the blind or some other good purpose. Smothering in money? Give it back.
I have to agree. Kind of reminds me of back when I was a little tyke and I'd go hang out with a rich kid and they'd have all the cool toys and not a single one of those expensive toys did anything but disappoint the poor spoiled brats (hey it wasn't their fault). I always think of that when I see insane conspicuous consumption of gaudy over priced luxury goods.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Interesting idea. What homework allows one to tell if a vintage tobacco inside a tin is recoverable or not?
Well, for starters:

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I don’t know about the large tins from that era but I wouldn’t buy anything from that era that I couldn’t personally inspect.
Over the years I’ve had good luck in resurrecting tobacco from rusty GLPease/Hermit tins. Currently I’m working on 3 tins that I was gifted at the NYPipe Show. I lightly spritz the tobacco with distilled water over a few days to wake it up then I let it stabilize with a Bovida pack in a ziplock for a couple weeks or so. If you don’t mix it around when it’s still dry the ribbons stay intact. ? 56DE02FC-16C1-4286-B1DA-9337BB6615E6.jpeg6B51A86D-103E-4D9F-94B5-0883E91048B7.jpeg7B34B7D1-7A7E-40DF-A912-0640C7E7BA9C.jpeg

Oct 7, 2016
Interesting idea. What homework allows one to tell if a vintage tobacco inside a tin is recoverable or not?

When I traded tobacco at shows back and forth, you could spot most interior rust by feeling around the tin for soft spots, carefully looking for little itty bitty pinholes, etc. After asking the owners permission, of course. The general rule in those days was that once you did that and paid your money, you owned it, though of course people made exceptions on an individual basis. How people work this out now I don’t know.

Reactions: Casual and BROBS

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I don’t know about the large tins from that era but I wouldn’t buy anything from that era that I couldn’t personally inspect.
Over the years I’ve had good luck in resurrecting tobacco from rusty GLPease/Hermit tins. Currently I’m working on 3 tins that I was gifted at the NYPipe Show. I lightly spritz the tobacco with distilled water over a few days to wake it up then I let it stabilize with a Bovida pack in a ziplock for a couple weeks or so. If you don’t mix it around when it’s still dry the ribbons stay intact. ? View attachment 24926View attachment 24927View attachment 24928
One thing to look out for are the spots you see on Dave's tins. That is a very good indication there is a rust problem. Also shaking the tins is a good way to tell if is "dry" sounding. Ask for the tins to be weighed is also another way of doing your homework, but again, it is still a crap shoot.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Or, I could buy another tub of Granger for $30 or another tub of SWR Aromatic for $42. My Scottish ancestors think that sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.