PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I don't judge how anyone spends their money and I realize that $750 to some is far less than it is to me, BUT... After reading a thread about "white whales" I saw mention of G.L. Pease Bohemian Scandal. I had no idea what it was, but the name sounded cool so I googled it. I found an 8 oz tin currently for sale for $750 USD. It's TOBACCO! It goes in a pipe and you set it on fire; it literally goes up in smoke. For the budget minded there was also a 2 oz tin for only $225 USD. Must be some AMAZING stuff. Guess I'll just have to pass on that experience.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a couple of tins of it and I sure wouldn't consider paying that kind of money for it. But I especially wouldn't consider spending that kind of money for it given that chances are the tin has failed and rotted from the inside out. Bohemian Scandal was one of the old Pease blends that was subject to tin rot. The Mylar bags might be okay, but if you're really dedicated to throwing your money away, just give it to me.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Bohemian Scandal is considered GLP's masterpiece blend. He had really good Syrian leaf and knew what to do with it. He famously lost all the tobacco in a warehouse fire and the blend went out of production and immediately became collectible. As sablebrush mentioned, the tins C&D were using at the time were notorious for rusting. So, even though it's not that old a blend, there's not many tins left. As for who's willing to pay that kind of money for rare tobacco, my guess is die hard collectors more than actual smokers. You have a tin like that for the prestige.

Incidentally, people have been questioning the price since back when it was only going for $100 a tin back in 2015.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Assuming you get 15 bowls per 2 ounces of tobacco, you would get 60 bowls out of that 8oz. tin., that equates to $12.50 per bowlful. Many, many people smoke cigars that cost $12.50 or more each. If this was your absolute favorite blend (not accounting for the compromised tin issues) the cost seems to be a quite reasonable treat. Certainly not an every day bowl, but once or twice a month could be an affordable luxury. $750.00 amortized over five or six years is not a great expense.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Assuming you get 15 bowls per 2 ounces of tobacco, you would get 60 bowls out of that 8oz. tin., that equates to $12.50 per bowlful. Many, many people smoke cigars that cost $12.50 or more each. If this was your absolute favorite blend (not accounting for the compromised tin issues) the cost seems to be a quite reasonable treat. Certainly not an every day bowl, but once or twice a month could be an affordable luxury. $750.00 amortized over five or six years is not a great expense.

But would you pay that for 15 year old cigars that in all likelihood are flat dry but you're not sure because you can't get a look inside the poorly made box it's been stored in?

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
Ghurka at one point had a box of cigars for $15K or $750 each. His Majesty’s Reserve, infused with Louis Cognac (speaking of overpriced). Some people get off spending money.
They get you with the imagery of a hot Cuban chick rolling the leaves on her glistening thighs as she creates each one with the utmost care. The reality is that it's the same toothless hag moistening the wrapper on her tongue. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.