7th And Final Pipe in the Alaska Pipe Set (Alaska Native Themed)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Great pipe to finish the set! I'm normally a sandblast man, but DAMN!, this one is a looker!
Congrat's and it's been fun following this project. You now have a family heirloom set that can be passed on for generations!!............................ bdw

Reactions: alaskanpiper

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Thanks for sharing all the wonderful back stories and pictures for all your beautiful pipes. I have Thoroughly enjoyed reading All the posts. I also enjoyed the anticipation of waiting for the next pipe post each time. Well done on a wonderful set of unique and inspired pipes.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Absolutely phenomenal finish to a truly epic set! As an Alaskan in exile, just knowing this set exists makes me proud.
Thanks, man! That means a lot.

Someone had to get a little diversity going up here, since your brother is rapidly filling the entire state with Polinski Oom Pauls ?

Reactions: tfdickson

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Thanks, man! That means a lot.

Someone had to get a little diversity going up here, since your brother is rapidly filling the entire state with Polinski Oom Pauls ?

I‘ve been following each of your updates to this collection and my jaw dropped a little more with each post. I held back commenting based on the half-a-haircut principle, best to wait and see the final result in full. And what a collection it turned out to be! I can’t imagine a pipe commissioning project more fraught with risk- hard enough to get it right once, let alone seven times. And yet you ended up with seven truly special pipes that are even more special taken together. Amazing!

Any plans for a special case to house them?

Reactions: alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I‘ve been following each of your updates to this collection and my jaw dropped a little more with each post. I held back commenting based on the half-a-haircut principle, best to wait and see the final result in full. And what a collection it turned out to be! I can’t imagine a pipe commissioning project more fraught with risk- hard enough to get it right once, let alone seven times. And yet you ended up with seven truly special pipes that are even more special taken together. Amazing!

We are currently building a new house. My study will have a custom built in desk with surrounding drawers and bookcases designed for pipes/jars/tins. For now, i’ll be building a floating shelf on the wall about a foot above the desk surface with seven magnets built into the bottom to secure the set (like a long, wall mounted, seven pipe magnetic pipe stand).

I may do something more elaborate later on but I think that will look good for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: tfdickson

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska

Also, thanks for the kind words. The prospect was definitely intimidating at first, but also remarkably appealing. I figured if I took it one pipe at a time, took my time with planning, and selected carvers based on their strengths as it pertained to the details of each design it was doable. Definitely happy with the results.

The cooperation and patience of the artists was definitely key. They were all excited for the challenge, a couple even carving stummels a second (and in one case third) time because THEY weren’t happy with their first attempt, haha.

They assured me they could sell those anyway, but I still felt bad, haha.

The whole experience was awe-inspiring to be honest. These carvers are truly talented and inspired people, and I am truly humbled by the effort they put into getting it right.