Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I know some people in their 20s that think the holocaust was a hoax.
These kids seriously believe shit they see on TikTok and YouTube over facts. It blows my mind. I can’t tell you how many I’ve had to teach recently that believe Earth is flat. I even had some that came to class and tell me “gravity is fake.” They were as serious as a heart attack. I said “So why do things fall down, then? And how are you standing on the floor?“ They said it’s because the air is full of water vapor and we’re sinking in the water. ?‍♂️
I said “Ok, that’s wrong, but even if that were true, then why do we sink towards the Earth?” They didn’t understand the question.
So not knowing about or not believing in the Holocaust, 9/11, or Pearl Harbor, stings a lot, but I can’t say I’m completely shocked. Sad and angry more than anything.
We have somehow created an idiot generation. I hope the bright ones in the bunch are bright enough to guide the morons. If not, the future is bleak.
How did it get like this?

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
These kids seriously believe shit they see on TikTok and YouTube over facts. It blows my mind. I can’t tell you how many I’ve had to teach recently that believe Earth is flat. I even had some that came to class and tell me “gravity is fake.” They were as serious as a heart attack. I said “So why do things fall down, then? And how are you standing on the floor?“ They said it’s because the air is full of water vapor and we’re sinking in the water. ?‍♂️
I said “Ok, that’s wrong, but even if that were true, then why do we sink towards the Earth?” They didn’t understand the question.
So not knowing about or not believing in the Holocaust, 9/11, or Pearl Harbor, stings a lot, but I can’t say I’m completely shocked. Sad and angry more than anything.
We have somehow created an idiot generation. I hope the bright ones in the bunch are bright enough to guide the morons. If not, the future is bleak.
How did it get like this?

And does anyone with half a brain really think these kids are somehow going to be productive enough to support the social security system in 30-years? I don't mean to be political, just pointing out the obvious.

I would bet that immersion into social media and online living creates a focused, ego-centric world view that does not allow comprehension of concepts such as gravity, a round Earth, and our relative insignificance in the cosmos.

The problem mainly lies in a small faction of one political party making news that doesn't support their alternative theories (news, health, science, and even history) to be fake, siding instead for conspiracy theories and alternative realities. And, since it has all been politicalized, we can't even discuss how the real thing right in front of us is really there, without some dimwit losing their moronic mind.

So of course we now have idiotic ideas.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
The problem mainly lies in a small faction of one political party making news that doesn't support their alternative theories (news, health, science, and even history) to be fake, siding instead for conspiracy theories and alternative realities. And, since it has all been politicalized, we can't even discuss how the real thing right in front of us is really there, without some dimwit losing their moronic mind.

Nah, this kind of stupid can’t be blamed on politics. These people don’t watch the news, either. This is “parents” not doing their damn job, plain and simple.

Reactions: tbradsim1
Nah, this kind of stupid can’t be blamed on politics. These people don’t watch the news, either. This is “parents” not doing their damn job, plain and simple.
I run into this with the debate team. Sometimes a parent will even bawk at a topic that is set by one of the most conservative organizations out there. Sometimes they have even denied the existence of something that everyone else knows is real. So, in my experience it has been parents. Plus, if a kid sees their parents deny the existence of science, news, etc... do you think that kid is going to do well in school? No, everything that is taught becomes politicized.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I know some people in their 20s that think the holocaust was a hoax.
there are always gonna be a few people who are out there just to ruin things. It seems like here it's mostly people my age and older that deny that. For some reason it's illegal to see if you can slap sense into some people, which is something I can't figure out how they could forget that legal caveat. You know you can't slap people unless it might make them smarter.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019

some people are at war with reality. The simple concept that you can't convince reality to just change. And I love how when you corner them and they have to admit to being wrong they'll usually talk about freedom of speech because they for some reason think I am the federal government and that being disagreed with is a violation of their precious opinion.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
some people are at war with reality. The simple concept that you can't convince reality to just change. And I love how when you corner them and they have to admit to being wrong they'll usually talk about freedom of speech because they for some reason think I am the federal government and that being disagreed with is a violation of their precious opinion.
That’s it. There’s no “right to not be offended” anywhere in the Bill of Rights. Some folks don’t seem to understand that.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
That’s it. There’s no “right to not be offended” anywhere in the Bill of Rights. Some folks don’t seem to understand that.
there isn't even a you can say what ever you want clause, just a the Federal Government is allowed to say you can't talk about these things. I always find it funny that the people I know who are like that will talk about how it's part of the constitution so it's immutable yet most of the other amendments they don't have a passing familiarity. Or like I say everybody is a hypocrite just don't act like it's an Olympic event and you're going for gold.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I just wish the two extremes would go to the desert and fight it out. Winner gets to keep the desert. Let the rest of us normal people live our lives without either side of the wingnuts.
the wing nuts even when I agree with them they scare me. It's the whole I know what's best for everyone with zero chance I might be wrong. And nobody wants to compromise but sometimes you just have to if you don't want to keep banging your head on the wall.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I would expect a mention here. But, and I don't pretend to read all of the National rags, or watch all of the cable stations but, I did browse and saw absolutely no mention on CBS, NBC, FOX, Wall Street Journal, NY Times, etc. Nothing!
The mainstream media is owned by Wall Streeters who own homes in Europe, South Africa, and South America - and funded by the Chinese Communist Party -> USA is old news to them - they are onto bigger and better(or so they think)

The mainstream media is owned by Wall Streeters who own homes in Europe and funded by the Chinese Communist Party -> USA is old news to them - they are onto bigger and better(or so they think)
I'm still trying to figure out if I should laugh at you or with you. Nowadays, I find it hard to tell if things said like this are meant to be serious, or are you just kidd'n around?

Status
Not open for further replies.