PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I'm still trying to figure out if I should laugh at you or with you. Nowadays, I find it hard to tell if things said like this are meant to be serious, or are you just kidd'n around?
see I got you there - but frankly, the media is disgusting in my opinion and there is indeed foreign interest and money involved for sure. Tabloid'esque - why can't they just report the truth anymore - everything is embellished nonsense in order to target specific 'keywords' and topics pertinent to the ad campaigns

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
see I got you there - but frankly, the media is disgusting in my opinion and there is indeed foreign interest and money involved for sure. Tabloid'esque - why can't they just report the truth anymore - everything is embellished nonsense in order to target specific 'keywords' and topics pertinent to the ad campaigns
I think the worst thing about the media is their business model is the same as it is with entertainment. That's not really the best way to get the best information. And the fact is that leads to targeting of audiences which certainly won't help with caring about bias.

• Love
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee
I see the media itself blamed a lot. But, just look at the freaking circus of a government that they have had to report on. And, it has been a nightmare circus for as long as I can remember.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I think the worst thing about the media is their business model is the same as it is with entertainment. That's not really the best way to get the best information. And the fact is that leads to targeting of audiences which certainly won't help with caring about bias.

We need Edward R. Murrow back. ASAP.

Edward R. Murrow's 1958 ' Wires & Lights in a Box' Speech - https://www.rtdna.org/content/edward_r_murrow_s_1958_wires_lights_in_a_box_speech

" One of the basic troubles with radio and television news is that both instruments have grown up as an incompatible combination of show business, advertising and news. Each of the three is a rather bizarre and, at times, demanding profession. And when you get all three under one roof, the dust never settles. "

Reactions: anotherbob

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I know some people in their 20s that think the holocaust was a hoax.

Those 20 somethings need to spend time with survivors. My small home town had a furrier, he & his wife crafted fur coats. Mr Herman was a survivor of birkenau. His arm was tattooed with a number. Later I found out what that meant.

Those that think it was a hoax are lazy or deluded.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Those 20 somethings need to spend time with survivors. My small home town had a furrier, he & his wife crafted fur coats. Mr Herman was a survivor of birkenau. His arm was tattooed with a number. Later I found out what that meant.

Those that think it was a hoax are lazy or deluded.
I've spent a lot of time with older folks bearing those marks. I think we may be living in a time when we see history passing into legend.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
We need Edward R. Murrow back. ASAP.

Edward R. Murrow's 1958 ' Wires & Lights in a Box' Speech - https://www.rtdna.org/content/edward_r_murrow_s_1958_wires_lights_in_a_box_speech

" One of the basic troubles with radio and television news is that both instruments have grown up as an incompatible combination of show business, advertising and news. Each of the three is a rather bizarre and, at times, demanding profession. And when you get all three under one roof, the dust never settles. "
he'd have a great podcast these days.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Murrow skewed his reports like all the others. His job was to stimulate sympathy for the British during the blitz. Roosevelt knew he had little support to enter the war and was attempting to push, not lead, his constituents to a "pro-British" stance. The Japanese started a war with us, carefully avoiding inciting the British. Hitler, for reasons unfathomable, decide to go with the Japanese and declared war against America negating the need for Roosevelt's slower approach. Poor old Adolph sure did a lot to insure he wouldn't be successful, thank goodness.

The Second Amendment simply forces the government to suck it up and let the people what they wish about the people in power. Lincoln chose to ignore that particular amendment when it suited his agenda.

Murrow, Cronkite, et al had/have their agendas and they are established by those who write the monthly checks.

Murrow was not broadcasting the news in an unbiased manner (word choices, inflection/emotion,facial expressions). He broadcast as his employer dictated. If he hadn't he wouldn't have remained employed.

In the past, editorials were led by a disclaimer. Now days, it's tough to tell a news report from an editorial comment.
Believe it or not, John Sterart was considered hard news by many semi-sentient college students. And, many viewers unquestioningly watch programs on so-called news channels and do not differentiate between the news and the editorial shows. The lines are blurred guys but, surely not that much.

And, remember, one person's truth is probably another person's falsity. It's all in what you want to believe. The news that fits your perspective is "spot on!' The other stuff is "bu****it." With only a couple of caveats, the media is Constitutionally protected to write/broadcast what they wish with regards to governance and the people who govern. No other country I'm aware of provides that protection to its citizens.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Good reading... thanks for sharing all. I enjoy all your different perspectives. I don’t have much to add that hasn’t already been said. So, I will just say thanks and acknowledge that i am glad I found this community. A bit of good conversation that is not easily found today.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
World War II has been over for 75 years, now. Next year marks the 80th anniversary of the event that caused the United States to enter a conflict that had been raging in Europe for two years. (Of course, the Second Sino-Japanese War, which was a predecessor, had been going on for four years. One might even argue that World War II began with the Spanish Civil War.)
What is it that we should teach our children and grandchildren about that conflict? Is it necessary that we acknowledge the attack on Pearl Harbor every year? These questions are intended to inspire thought, not controversy.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Murrow skewed his reports like all the others. His job was to stimulate sympathy for the British during the blitz. Roosevelt knew he had little support to enter the war and was attempting to push, not lead, his constituents to a "pro-British" stance. The Japanese started a war with us, carefully avoiding inciting the British. Hitler, for reasons unfathomable, decide to go with the Japanese and declared war against America negating the need for Roosevelt's slower approach. Poor old Adolph sure did a lot to insure he wouldn't be successful, thank goodness.

The Second Amendment simply forces the government to suck it up and let the people what they wish about the people in power. Lincoln chose to ignore that particular amendment when it suited his agenda.

Murrow, Cronkite, et al had/have their agendas and they are established by those who write the monthly checks.

Murrow was not broadcasting the news in an unbiased manner (word choices, inflection/emotion,facial expressions). He broadcast as his employer dictated. If he hadn't he wouldn't have remained employed.

In the past, editorials were led by a disclaimer. Now days, it's tough to tell a news report from an editorial comment.
Believe it or not, John Sterart was considered hard news by many semi-sentient college students. And, many viewers unquestioningly watch programs on so-called news channels and do not differentiate between the news and the editorial shows. The lines are blurred guys but, surely not that much.

And, remember, one person's truth is probably another person's falsity. It's all in what you want to believe. The news that fits your perspective is "spot on!' The other stuff is "bu****it." With only a couple of caveats, the media is Constitutionally protected to write/broadcast what they wish with regards to governance and the people who govern. No other country I'm aware of provides that protection to its citizens.

Actually, Japan declared war on the British on December 7th (US time).

Status
Not open for further replies.