PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I know there were local remembrances. I found no mention, in any of the National media, of the event. I hope, if you live in a "small" market, that some reporter, producer, editor, pundit, etc. acknowledged the dastardly event. I can't believe our National memory are so short.

Veteran's Day received barely a mention so, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Still ...'tis sad.

I would expect a mention here. But, and I don't pretend to read all of the National rags, or watch all of the cable stations but, I did browse and saw absolutely no mention on CBS, NBC, FOX, Wall Street Journal, NY Times, etc. Nothing!
Ahhhh... TV. I haven't actually watched anything on a TV network in about a year. I think the only thing they ever discuss is that horrible reality show called... Government.
I did watch about 15 minutes of the Macy's Day Parade, and then flicked back off the cable box. I predict that if TV doesn't actually start sinking some money into writers and actors that it won't last another year.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
We had Directv since 2003 and I just cancelled it a couple weeks ago. Good riddance. The "news" is a bad comedy at this point. I use a firestick and stream movies now.

Reactions: Kilgore Trout

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Current day tribulations and insanities have sucked all the air out of the room.

When war was declared, my whole fam damily signed up. Two of my uncles were naval officers who saw quite a bit of action in the Pacific. Another uncle was a tank commander attached to Patton. Being an airplane engineer, my father was turned down for service as his skills were deemed essential to the war effort. He designed systems for the B-17, B-19, and other planes. My aunts worked in the War effort. These folks define patriotism for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That is such a remarkable moment in history, to do it justice requires some attention to detail and enough fortitude to absorb the horrors of it. Peoples flesh cooked off their bones as they bobbed beside their sinking ships. People coping with and denying the catastrophes of the moment probably don't have the attention span. But yes, remembrance is due. Some visiting the memorial above the sunken hull of the Arizona have to ask what it commemorates.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I was also waiting with bated breath yesterday for any mention whatsoever. A day of infamy no longer. Now that most have forgotten, I hope we're not soon doomed to repeat history :(

My grandfather was an officer in the US Army Air Force stationed at one of the nearby airfields (Wheeler if I remember correctly); as a kid I used to page through his old photo album from that time, which included a small piece of a Zero that was downed during the attack.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Heck a entire generation was born after 9-11 now. Most can't be bothered to rember that national tragedy and loss of life let alone something as "unrelatable" as pearl harbor or the men that fought and died in all the battles that followed. Most seem to measure passage of time in iphone releases now and are far to distracted to rember that far back.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
It passed with barely a whisper of remembrance from what I saw.

Beyond sad, it’s dangerous for people to be ignorant of events as momentous and world changing as the attack on Pearl Harbor.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Flags were supposed to be at half-staff. I made sure all my restaurants had them flying correctly. Driving past the several restaurants yesterday, we were the only ones who showed the respect due. I was proud of my team for remembering the directive, but sad for the community.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I hope we're not soon doomed to repeat history

History always repeats itself. Each generation has people who think they can pull off what earlier despots and egotists couldn't. So, we improve our killing machines for two reasons only, for defense or offense. It's what humans do.

Periods of quietude are nearly unknown in the history of man. It's what we do. Later generations learn from the mistakes, improve and refine the tools and then try again. Pacifists never learn they are prey and the predators never forget it. Sadly, I believe such applies to the neighborhood as well as the world.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Heck a entire generation was born after 9-11 now. Most can't be bothered to rember that national tragedy and loss of life let alone something as "unrelatable" as pearl harbor or the men that fought and died in all the battles that followed. Most seem to measure passage of time in iphone releases now and are far to distracted to rember that far back.
I have to teach those kids born after 9/11. What’s messed up is that a lot of them think it was fake. ?

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
remember-dec7th.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.