PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Hi gang, yup--today's the day on which I first picked up a pipe 55 years ago and began my hobby.

Herewith the details: I was headed off to college, and back in 1959, college students were noted for pipe smoking. It was the epitome of cool and cigarette smoking seemed so declassé. Before investing in a pipe and all that paraphernalia, I borrowed one of my father's--a bent bulldog, and took some of his tobacco--Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. I packed the pipe--way too tight, but I thought that's how you did it, lit it, and began to puff away. As the smoke filled my mouth with that first puff I fell head over heels in love, and knew I had found a hobby that would last me the rest of my life.
So here I am, 55 years later. My collection has grown to over 100 pipes, including a few that I've had since the 1960s. They run the gamut from the very inexpensive, some basket pipes, a dozen GBDs, six Connoisseurs, six Charatans, six Dunhills, and a few artisanal pipes that are beautiful to behold and magnificent to smoke. As to tobacco, by the early 1960s I had moved to Balkan Sobranie (the original, white label,) which I smoked until the the 80s, when they quit making it. Thereafter, I smoked a variety of English blends until fairly recently when I found myself unable to tolerate Latakia. I experimented, and now have a well-stocked cellar of Virginias, VaPers, Burleys, and yes--quite a few aromatics--a type I once disdained, but have now come to enjoy. I've even begun adding a few light English/Balkan blends to the mix and find I can enjoy them if I do them in moderation.
And today, to celebrate my 55th anniversary as a pipe smoker, I took a GBD bent Granitan bulldog, and filled it with P&C Edgeworth Ready Rubbed match, which I purchased just for this date. So here I am, as I write this, smoking the same tobacco in the same type of pipe as I did with that first bowl. And, do you know, it's just wonderful. I can visualize the chair I sat in when I smoked that first bowl, and I'm enjoying it as much or even more than I did on that first day, not so long ago because it seems like only yesterday. Life is good.
55 years of pipe smoking--and that's probably longer than most members of this forum have been alive. I'm clearly a living testament to the dangers of pipe smoking. :) But here I am at 72, and I can walk, talk, blink my eyes, make love and make water. As I said before, life is good. I love my hobby, and plan on sticking with it until the very end. Projecting ahead, I have even selected my final pipe--a Comoy's Tradition straight bulldog that is one of my magic pipes--a pipe that tastes great regardless of the tobacco smoked in it. I haven't yet selected my final tobacco, but I hope it's a decision I won't have to make until quite a few more years. Paul Spaniola kept his going until he reached the age of 100, and I'd like to do the same. And then, I'd like someone to remove it from my hand as my fingers relax one final time.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Happy Anniversary Eric....great post. I hope you can continue on for many many years to come!

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Thank you for your profound story. May you have many more years to enjoy life and - of course - pipe smoking.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Eric you are loved on this forum, as an elderly man 71 I can say this without worrying about the smart asses who cannot say they love another man. I can and like the hippies used to say I Love You Man. PS don't know much about the Hippies as I was fighting for their freedom in S Asia.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Many thanks for a fantastic post Eric - genuinely moving. Your anniversary bowl is such a great idea; I can't imagine how it feels. Hopefully your well-laid plans won't need to become active for a long time yet!
Andy (aged 50 years and 11 days)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A pipe is a great stabilizer in a crazy world, and you have lived to show it.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Very interesting. I like the idea of setting tobacco aside for an anniversary smoke. I'm aging some CutVirginia Plug, but have a tin of 2006 Christmas Cheer which is the year I got married. Planning to crack it open and smoke it on our 25 year anniversary. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.