PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'm having a bowl of this 1931 as I write, and before packing I really took the time to sit down and inspect the topping. I think I've finally figured it out. North Americans may not be too familiar but if any Eastern Europeaners can confirm this is a common flavor profile over there-- I think it's...........

Blackcurrant.

It wasn't easy to spot because there's a lot of natural tobacco aroma that mixes in, the topping isn't very heavy at all, it just adds a little special something to the smoke.
I think blackcurrant is the flavor used in MacBaren's "modern cavendish" that they put in everything.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I find the 4th Gen 1855 to my liking and have cellared it. I am finding it missing from more and more sites and I wonder about the future of the line. If I am not mistaken, Erik Stokkebye recently departed the company, if that has any bearing.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
have you tried Newminster Superior Navy Flake?

give her a shot.. I think it's pretty close to 1931 ;)
So I just received yesterday some newminster navy flake, along with some comoy's cask #7 and PS navy flake. Your right, it is pretty close to 1931. Close enough that the bulk price will pull me towards cellering it. I got PS navy as well because I read alot of reviews saying they might be the same flake. They definitely are not. I have not smoke PS yet, but the tin notes are way different. PS has that classic hay/grass smell, but new minster has something extra. Brown sugar maybe? It smell great whatever it is. The cuts are different too. PS has a finer cut, and the flakes are normal sized. Holy shit are new minsters flakes long! I had to cut them in half to fit them in an 8 ounce jar. I will definitely be buying more.

Status
Not open for further replies.