PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
This was a new arrival last week and I can't put this stuff down! I bought the 3.5 oz tin and I wish they offered it in a pound bag like Mac barens offerings. I have seen reviewers liken this to Mac barens navy flake, but better. I haven't had their navy flake and would like to hear an opinion of someone who has had both.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
When Erik Stokkebye introduced 1931 (about eight years ago?), we at the Golden Gate Pipe Club were excited and put him on a speaker box at a club meeting for a conference call. He was peppered with questions about the new flake and graciously answered all but one - what was that fabulous top note? He demurred and just called it an "essence".

And that's fine - every baccy blender, chef, and distiller guards his secrets. The 1931 flake presents a wonderful old fashioned taste on top of a solid foundation of burley and VAs. There is a sweet quality- honey? But something else lurks in the background. Is that "essence" a drop of anise? That might account for the grandpa feeling to this fine Navy flake.

It should age marvellously and I wonder if the moment has come to pop one of the original production tins I have.

I have tasted the Mac Baren navy flake but do think the 1931 is in a league of its own.

Enjoy.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
1931 is in a league of it's own. Obviously kin to Mac B Navy Flake, but I find the honeyish topping more evident, and it's probably smoother. Of real note in the flavor though is where MBNF has their "patented cavendish" which is a sort of perique-ish stand-in, the 1931 has a weird sour note - it's VERY similar to the weird sour note in Savinelli Brunello (also a MB product) which contains "macedonian leaf". Anyway once you figure out the 1931, it is crazy good stuff - I think very highly of the MB NF but the 1931 is just... better somehow.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
Ah nice, another fan. Yeah, I've been blasting through this tin myself lately. It's an uncomplicated, very tasty and well behaved smoke.

There is a sweet quality- honey? But something else lurks in the background. Is that "essence" a drop of anise? That might account for the grandpa feeling to this fine Navy flake.

See, people say honey often but I get no honey. Anise is a possibility however, I smelled the flake several times yesterday and the topping reminds me a little bit of that licorice-y topping that Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky has, but not quite, a little more perfumey. I was honestly worried because I don't like the smell of the dry life but it doesn't really come throguh the same way in the smoke.

Reactions: BROBS and danimalia

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Yeah I couldn't figure out the topping either, but I love the flavor and tin note. They are the most well behaved flake I ever smoked, no dry time either, I smoke right from the tin with no moisture problems or relights. I did find it to be similar to brunello flake, except for the topping/tin note, brunello has a very obvious strawberry topping (which is delightful).

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I think there is orange in there. The Navy Flake is a burley blend with a topping that's probably honey or sugared water and rum.
1931 Flake is much more virginia forward and topped with what I percieve as oranges. My guess is that the sweet liquorice-like notes come from the cavendish. There might also be some oriental leaf in it. I like it a lot, where I find MacB Navy Flake rather dull.

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the opinions guys. Reason I asked was this is a tobacco I want to cellar, but Mac barens comes in a one pound bag so it's cheaper. If it was close I would have just went with Mac barens. Looks like I'm gonna stick with 1931. Now time to start saving up for 10 tin order!

I didn't realize that this line was still being made. The Briary had some tins that were covered in dust and hadn't been moving years ago, so I bought the rest of them. I am not exactly sure how old they are, but I will pull one from this line out occasionally to pop. I haven't noticed any benefits of aging, but then I wasn't 100% acquainted with this blend when I first got it.

Hopefully I'll be able to stock up before they stop making it.
Surely it is within the deeming date. It is one of the first things that I explored. I do think that as I pop tins now that whatever the casing is dissipates much more as time goes by. But, I am tempted to get some fresh tins to see what the comparison is. I always forget what the differences is between the different tins in this line, so I just grab one and pop it to surprise myself at what I will be smoking.

Reactions: Mr.Mike

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
This one has been on my (neverending) list to try for some time but it sounds lie I need to move it near the top. It sounds great! I've also heard the English tobacco in this line is pretty good too
It's okay, but there's a hundred more interesting takes on English blends around, whether you want more latakia, or more spice, or more turkish, or whatever. It's a good intro to English type blends, it would give a guy a nice baseline, but if you smoke lots of good English mixtures already, this one is... adequate. Like the Aylesbury ones. It's okay, but I won't buy more, there's just too many great ones out there. If you need a really fine English, I'd recommend Old Dublin any day over the 4th gen one.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
have you tried Newminster Superior Navy Flake?

give her a shot.. I think it's pretty close to 1931 ;)

Reactions: dmcmtk

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
and it's dirt cheap.. made by MacBaren. All their product is great IMO (Newminster)

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I'm having a bowl of this 1931 as I write, and before packing I really took the time to sit down and inspect the topping. I think I've finally figured it out. North Americans may not be too familiar but if any Eastern Europeaners can confirm this is a common flavor profile over there-- I think it's...........

Blackcurrant.

It wasn't easy to spot because there's a lot of natural tobacco aroma that mixes in, the topping isn't very heavy at all, it just adds a little special something to the smoke.

Reactions: danimalia and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.