PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I probably should have mention that the only reason I would order this way is due to international shipping. Also, in my country tobacco importing will only be available for a year or so more. If I could buy in larger quantities I would.

I thought it might be something like that.

VA forward blends - I’m very sensitive to VA, especially red, so basically anything that has the sweetness with a controlled bite. Thinking Newminster 400/403. Comoys #4. Sutliff Revelation. Any suggestions here from burley smokers would be helpful.

For burley I really can't recommend Watch City Cigar Deluxe Crumb Cut, GH&C Happy Bogie, and Manil Le Petit Robin enough. They are all outstanding.

What are a couple of bulk VaPers you would recommend? I love perique, but it is a profile I have only just been getting into as previously I avoided ordering blends which contained it

I love Watch City Cigar Old Dominion but a lot of people here seem to prefer their Flake #558. Their Rougaroux is outstanding if you can get it when it comes into stock. I've not tried their Rhythm & Blues yet.

• Love
Reactions: SpookedPiper

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
Yep I have some Wessex already which I’m looking forward to opening this year on my birthday - how present is the licorice topping?

I keep going back and forward on the HH burley. I haven’t got one yet, despite knowing I will love it.

what I am really interested in is opinions of VA or oriental blends from people who predominantly smoke burley forward and use for a change of pace. Anyone a fan of cockstrong or London dock?
Not a big fan of Cockstrong. Or D&R blends in general. I have several cans of Cockstrong in the cellar. The name is hilarious to me. I found it dry and a little low on character for my tastes. Perhaps after some age I will like it more. PS Turkish may fit the bill. Also, Manil Semois is unique and can be enjoyable for a burley enthusiast. C&D Big & Burley is good example of a burley forward blend,

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Not a big fan of Cockstrong. Or D&R blends in general. I have several cans of Cockstrong in the cellar. The name is hilarious to me. I found it dry and a little low on character for my tastes. Perhaps after some age I will like it more. Haven't attempted London Dock. PS Turkish may fit the bill.
Good to know. I don’t find the name funny in the slightest...then again I don’t like to laugh at myself.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have come to the conclusion & opinion that bulk is the way to go for heavy cellaring strategy. Waaay cheaper and you can really really get alot squirreled away quick. If money is not a factor for you, by all means stack up the tins, but in reality if the same blend is offered in bulk, you are just wasting money for a fancy tin. Saying that, I DO buy a few tins here and there to crack open on special occasions. It's nice to have a few sealed tins lying around for trading purposes

That's true to some extent. But not as much as you might think when you consider the cost of the mason jar and your time for going to buy mason jars and packing the tobacco. I buy bulk for the slight cost savings but more so because I believe the mason jars will provide a more reliable, long term storage solution. If I could be confident that tins would be a 99.9% reliable solution for storing for over 10 years, I'd not have any mason jars in my cellar.

Reactions: gervais

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
That's true to some extent. But not as much as you might think when you consider the cost of the mason jar and your time for going to buy mason jars and packing the tobacco. I buy bulk for the slight cost savings but more so because I believe the mason jars will provide a more reliable, long term storage solution. If I could be confident that tins would be a 99.9% reliable solution for storing for over 10 years, I'd not have any mason jars in my cellar.
Yeah that's true, some time definately needs to be dedicated to re-packing it. Jars are not cheap either. About a buck a jar where I live. I pay pretty high shipping costs due to being outside the US, and buying here is out of the question for my wallet (not to mention criminal to charge that much). In the end, I'm figuring it's a 35-50% savings buying bulk, depending on the blend

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
VA forward blends - I’m very sensitive to VA, especially red, so basically anything that has the sweetness with a controlled bite. Thinking Newminster 400/403. Comoys #4. Sutliff Revelation. Any suggestions here from burley smokers would be helpful.
I prefer burley and do not react well with VAs. I'm not sure if you are looking for sweetness or avoiding it. If the former, I recommend Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake. It's a VA forward that I enjoy.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I prefer burley and do not react well with VAs. I'm not sure if you are looking for sweetness or avoiding it. If the former, I recommend Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake. It's a VA forward that I enjoy.
Yes that is one I have also had success with. I do enjoy the candy-like sugars of VA from time to time, but some blends just bite hard and smell like urine to me. I wish I could enjoy them more, and to a certain extent can modify my cadence etc but yes I’m a burley boy through and through

Reactions: Bowie

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Look, man, this is simple. I'll bring in 25 pounds of tobacco in exchange for a first-class round-trip ticket to NZ. Just don't ask me how I got it past customs or why it smells like that. Cellar built, problem solved, see you next year. Deal?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
10-4. I'll ship the tins ahead and fill them when I get there.
I’ve always wanted to try plum pudding...if you can wrangle your holiday around Christmas time I could feed you up with our plum tree before you fill the tins? Also, to be certain, would we be able to get a jimstinks review of the blends Having undergone the ageing and fermentation method you are suggesting?

Status
Not open for further replies.