4 Versions Of Jack Daniels And One Set Of Brit Tastebuds.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Bourbon can be made anywhere in the US.:)

This is correct. To be called "Bourbon" it simply must be at least 51% corn. To be called "Straight Bourbon" it must be at least 51% corn and aged at least two years in fresh charred white oak barrels. To be called "Kentucky Straight Bourbon" it must meet the above, as well as be made in Kentucky.

I may be wrong but that's my understanding as of yet.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
There are many American spirits I'd like to try, one in particular is a pure rye whiskey.

I'll be looking to see what's available online in the morning.

Regards,

Jay.

My favorite rye is Willett Family Estate Single Barrel 4 Year:

willett-family-estate-rye-whiskey.jpg

I have bottles ranging from 54% to 59% ABV and I drink them strictly neat. I've heard it's good with one big cube but I really like it neat and just below room temperature.

I also like Whistle Pig 10 year.

I think the WP is a touch sweeter and smoother but I think the Willett has more character.

I get the Willett for $55/bottle both online and locally.

The WP is $64 online and $74 locally.

If I'm only picking up 1 or 2 bottles overall I'll just get it locally as shipping offsets any savings. If I'm getting 6+ bottles overall I'll order and save a little.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
My favorite rye is Dad's Hat out of Bristol, PA. It's young, but I like my rye to taste like rye.

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
Tennessee whiskey goes through a charcoal filtering; while the mash bill, fermentation, and distillation may be the same, a bourbon doesn't get the added charcoal filtering. It's a minor detail.

Reactions: Bengel
Oct 7, 2016
Tennessee whiskey goes through a charcoal filtering; while the mash bill, fermentation, and distillation may be the same, a bourbon doesn't get the added charcoal filtering. It's a minor detail.
The charcoal filtering is known as the Lincoln County process, used by Jack Daniels and George Dickel. Lots of otherTennessee distilleries have come on line in recent years, some use the Lincoln County process, many don’t. But to be labeled “Tennessee Whiskey”, my understanding is that the Lincoln County process must be used. And it does make a difference, as explained

HERE

In my younger days, I drank a good bit of Jack, some George, but the last Jack I had a few years ago was No. 7, now bottled at 80 proof, which I found disappointing. The 86 proof was OK, but the 90 proof of my youth was the real deal, and that is what Sinatra Select is bottled at. The few of my friends who are still alive and drinking tell me it is the same as the old No.7. Several other friends are big fans of George Dickel Bottled in Bond, which is apparently a little hard to find but more reasonably priced than you might expect.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I just looked at what is available from Asda and I see they have JD Tennessee Straight Rye 70cl 45% ABV for £28 and Single Barrel Rye Tennessee 70cl 45% ABV for £50!!!

I think I'll plump for the former as this is for tasting purposes.

I do wish JD would quote an age on their products rather than saying "It's ready when we say it's ready" or some such nonsense.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: dino and danimalia

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just now ordered a bottle of JD Tennessee Straight Rye and my first ever Jim Beam effort, something called 'Devil's Cut' which has its own curious method of production....

"It may be young but it's matured in old barrels that are at the end of their life, these barrels full of flavour then get destroyed and the devil's cut is extracted from the moist wood, this very dark liquid is then blended with the bourbon from the barrels to make an amazing creation, the best value bourbon in my opinion."

I'm quite looking forward to tomorrow when they arrive :)

Regards,

Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I like Devil's Cut. It's a pretty good whisky IMO."

Python, I still can't get my head around how its produced as per the quote on my last post.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it however it's made.

Regards,

Jay.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
When whiskey is aged in barrels, a certain amount of the whiskey is absorbed into the wood of the barrel and is lost to production. In the industry this is called "The Devil's Cut".

Supposedly, when they make Devil's Cut, they are using the oak barrels that are at the end of their life cycle for aging the whiskey. This will be the last batch of whiskey that they will be used for.

After they remove the shortly aged whiskey from the barrel, they break then the barrel apart and extract all of the moisture from the wood in the barrel.

They then mix the extracted liquid that they got from the wood barrels in with the whiskey that they removed from the barrels.

This gives the whiskey a deeper, richer flavor.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I guess that is a myth just just got perpetuated. My mistake?.

There's never been a law against calling whiskey a bourbon that I'm aware of but the industry had an unwritten rule regarding it. It's only recently that people (or producers) have relaxed about it. Now we're seeing better labeling that not only provides origin but also hints at minimum aging.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"After they remove the shortly aged whiskey from the barrel, they break then the barrel apart and extract all of the moisture from the wood in the barrel."

Cheers Python for that but with all due respect that is what i knew already.

It's the "they break then the barrel apart and extract all of the moisture from the wood in the barrel." bit that I don't understand. How on earth do they manage to extract whiskey that is already absorbed in the barrel staves?

Do they pulverise the staves then press the powdered results to get the last drop of useful liquid out? Surely someone must know.

Am well puzzled!

Regards,

Jay.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
"After they remove the shortly aged whiskey from the barrel, they break then the barrel apart and extract all of the moisture from the wood in the barrel."

Cheers Python for that but with all due respect that is what i knew already.

It's the "they break then the barrel apart and extract all of the moisture from the wood in the barrel." bit that I don't understand. How on earth do they manage to extract whiskey that is already absorbed in the barrel staves?

Do they pulverise the staves then press the powdered results to get the last drop of useful liquid out? Surely someone must know.

Am well puzzled!

Regards,

Jay.
Only guessing here, but I presume it is the dregs of many barrels. Does not sound appetizing, but this is good whiskey we are talking about ;)
correct if I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.