4 Versions Of Jack Daniels And One Set Of Brit Tastebuds.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
How on earth do they manage to extract whiskey that is already absorbed in the barrel staves?

Do they pulverise the staves then press the powdered results to get the last drop of useful liquid out? Surely someone must know.

Now that I don't know for sure. Any answer that I give would just be a guess.

They could use a huge press and squeeze out the liquid. When enough pressure is applied, the liquid will definitely come out. But as I said, it's just a guess.

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
I've been really enjoying Rittenhouse BiB rye, it flies way under the radar and especially now that McKenna has become unobtainium.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
There's never been a law against calling whiskey a bourbon that I'm aware of but the industry had an unwritten rule regarding it. It's only recently that people (or producers) have relaxed about it. Now we're seeing better labeling that not only provides origin but also hints at minimum aging.
It actually is a law, or rather a regulation that puts a few specific laws on the nomenclature. Passed in 1964.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Back when I drank whisky, or anything for that matter, it was George Dickel #12, the finest Tennessee Whisky around.
It blew away JD, JB, and all the others.
Sure, toss some high $$ and get some good reviews, but for a solid Tennessee Whisky, it can’t be beat.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
It actually is a law, or rather a regulation that puts a few specific laws on the nomenclature. Passed in 1964.
You are correct there is a regulation but it's more in regard to content and production but any whiskey made in the US that is produced to the standards can be called a bourbon. Geographic place names, if used, have to be true as well. A bourbon can be made outside of Kentucky however it may not have the name Kentucky on it. If a bottle is labeled Kentucky bourbon it must be made to the standards set forth for bourbon and be made in Kentucky.

I believe some of the more recent label changes are related to what were formerly regional names being now generic. I'm not sure if they have to have a geographic name with the now generic name. California Champagne is a good example. Champagne is now a more generic term and can be used by US producers but I doubt France allows such bottles to be imported with this label. But then again, I can't imagine the US sparkling wine market to be very robust in France. ?

Reactions: mawnansmiff

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
You are correct there is a regulation but it's more in regard to content and production but any whiskey made in the US that is produced to the standards can be called a bourbon. Geographic place names, if used, have to be true as well. A bourbon can be made outside of Kentucky however it may not have the name Kentucky on it. If a bottle is labeled Kentucky bourbon it must be made to the standards set forth for bourbon and be made in Kentucky.

I believe some of the more recent label changes are related to what were formerly regional names being now generic. I'm not sure if they have to have a geographic name with the now generic name. California Champagne is a good example. Champagne is now a more generic term and can be used by US producers but I doubt France allows such bottles to be imported with this label. But then again, I can't imagine the US sparkling wine market to be very robust in France. ?
Yes, as I said earlier in the thread it can be made in any state and be called bourbon. The regulation i was referring to was simply the bourbon and straight bourbon designation regarding mash content and aging/barrel specifics. The regional designation was not part of that resolution, except that it must be made in America. I must have misunderstood which of the two your previous post was referencing, apologies. I think we are on the same page.

Reactions: Bowie and shanez
Status
Not open for further replies.