PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
I'm letting my beard grow in for the second time. Currently I look like I've been on a 5 day bender but it's starting to fill out. My question is, what is a good beard/mustache trimmer? The last time I had grown my beard my mustache got thicker than I cared for. When my wife cuts my hair, she would trim back my beard with the same guard but the mustache would grow back quicker than my hair. Any hints or tips are greatly appreciated. And yes, I will up date my avatar when the beard is fully operational.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Same as photoman here. Cheapest rechargeable beard trimmer at Walmart. I use it for edging my neck line. I'm not trimming mine short - I hope when it gets longer I can just use scissors. When I grow a beard; it's a BEARD! Mountain man style! lol

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
Unfortunately I am cursed with a lack of facial hair. 53 years old and only shaves every other day. lol

mrdoody

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2012
MA, USA
i've tried the manual route like reichenbach, but if you're gonna go full-beard that's a lot of work IME.
i have an inexpensive Andis jobbie i picked up on amazon 7 or 8 years ago that has never failed me: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KMILQQ - though it looks like there's a "version 2" now, fwiw. it won't hold a charge that well, but that's okay 'cuz i just use it plugged in (i rarely travel for so long that i MUST have a trim in the interim).
amusing that you ask, 'cuz just this morning i had my beard shaved clean off today at the barber while i was getting a haircut. i look 10 years younger i'm told ;-) .
doody.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I only use scissors on the mustache (first shaping cut along the top of the lip then comb through and take down volume) or on one of two errant beard hairs. I only do this once a week. Every two weeks I trim the beard with a set of big clippers. The only reason I I don't use the big clippers on the 'tache is because I can't get the guard in under my nose.
Let me clarify also that by 'big clippers' I don't mean hedge trimmers, I mean the kind of clippers you would use for your head.
Doing the whole beard with scissors would take a very long time.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Funny you posted this, I was wondering how many people on here have a beard. I hate the fact that my job requires me to be clean shaven everyday. I feel so much better with a beard.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
Walmart sells a corded Wahl trimmer with various clip on guides so you don't accidentally trim too close. $21 I think. I am cursed with patchy beard so I just grow the chin and then I've got a handlebar mustache going.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
Wow, thanks for all the responses. I shall take what you all have said it apply it. Like I said in the OP, I'll change my avatar to reflect the new beard.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
@kabong30 Thanks for reminding me! That's what I have a rechargeable Wahl trimmer from Walmart.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I use a Remington MB-300 from Target. I think it was around $28. I really like it a lot.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I just got a beard trimmer from Walmart and use that.
Main thing is to keep it trimmed and looking neat, the ladies appreciate that.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
And to add a comment to slownumbers39: Smoking a pipe with a beard...can be good or bad. Depends on your tobacco! A nice aromatic will scent your beard nicely (smokey sweet), but an English blend can turn the ladies away.

Aug 1, 2012
I shaved this summer for the first time in 10 years. The wifey was not pleased with the result and frankly, neither was I. As for a trimmer, I have had cheap and expensive and I can say the cheap Remingtons from Wal Mart are your best bet.
Sou

adam12

May 16, 2011
Just grow it out John Brown style:
05statecapitol3.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.