Status
Not open for further replies.

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
That's odd.
They ship from nearby where I live.
No spanish papers round here that I know of.

I seldom visit the brick and mortar unless I run plum out of decent tobacco.
A tin of GLP on the online site is $10 to $13. I paid around $19 across the counter. I get it. There's overhead. But that's a big bullet to bite.

I'd buy online and drive down and pick it up. But there's no way online to not pay for shipping. I get it quick in the mail. But not in an hour. That would be better. But then I guess nobody would pay the b&m prices.
A quandary. For sure.

charf

Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I just placed my 1st order with Cup O’ Joes that arrived today, 2 MM Cobs and 1 pouch of Tabac Manil’s Semois Reserve du Patron.

It all came in a Vanilla padded envelope, as I opened it, there was the Tabac Manil, sitting there, and next to it some rolled up newspaper.

All they did was wrap the Cobs in newspaper! The least they could of done was send me the newspaper in English, not Spanish so I could read it... LOL :ROFLMAO:

This is the wildest packing job I’ve ever had, reminds me how the Kiwi’s in New Zealand wrap Fish & Chips in newspapers for take-out orders. LOL :ROFLMAO:

P.S. Great service Cup O’ Joes! ?

View attachment 56083
Fish n Chips wrapped in newspaper are the best. I would recommend consuming you pipe and tobacco at the beach. ?

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
That's odd.
They ship from nearby where I live.
No spanish papers round here that I know of.

I seldom visit the brick and mortar unless I run plum out of decent tobacco.
A tin of GLP on the online site is $10 to $13. I paid around $19 across the counter. I get it. There's overhead. But that's a big bullet to bite.

I'd buy online and drive down and pick it up. But there's no way online to not pay for shipping. I get it quick in the mail. But not in an hour. That would be better. But then I guess nobody would pay the b&m prices.
A quandary. For sure.
Cup O' Joes is a great shop. Sadly, the price isn't their fault, it's taxes, not overhead. From their website:
Is your order shipping to New York State?
If YES please be aware of the following charges. They will be automatically added to your shopping cart for your approval.

We must add tax as follows:

Sales tax will be calculated according to your county.

Cigar tax of 28.5% will be automatically added to your shopping cart.

Little Cigar tax of $4.35 per 20 pack will be automatically added to your shopping cart.

All other tobacco will have 75% automatically added to you shopping cart.

This only applies to orders shipped directly to New York. If you have any questions please feel free to email us at

info@cupojoes.com

I also believe the cigar tax they have posted at 28.5% has been changed to 75%. It is tough to pay those prices, but I still visit B&Ms in the state from time to time because I don't want to see them go.

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
It's been a 1yr since I ordered...But today they had back in-stock Bones Cherrydog Pipe so I picked this up and 1lb Stokkebye PS403 Luxury Bulls Eye Flake. Never had a issue in my pass orders.

Reactions: edger and dcon

ADKPiper

Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
Cup O' Joes is a great shop. Sadly, the price isn't their fault, it's taxes, not overhead. From their website:
Is your order shipping to New York State?
If YES please be aware of the following charges. They will be automatically added to your shopping cart for your approval.

We must add tax as follows:

Sales tax will be calculated according to your county.

Cigar tax of 28.5% will be automatically added to your shopping cart.

Little Cigar tax of $4.35 per 20 pack will be automatically added to your shopping cart.

All other tobacco will have 75% automatically added to you shopping cart.

This only applies to orders shipped directly to New York. If you have any questions please feel free to email us at

info@cupojoes.com

I also believe the cigar tax they have posted at 28.5% has been changed to 75%. It is tough to pay those prices, but I still visit B&Ms in the state from time to time because I don't want to see them go.

I get a "ny tobacco tax" added on.
I just checked.
I stand corrected.
So it makes zero sense to buy tobacco in NY State if you are from NY State. Unreal!
I pay less ordering fron SC.
NY sucks. No doubt about it.

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I live about an hour away and try to support all the local shops like them, Edleez, Park Lane and Havana Premium.
Why the accusatory question?

Not sure where accusatory comes from, I only asked if you were from Cup O’ Joes is all... :)

I was merely curious, to know if you were staff or owner here on the forum, gracing us with your presence! bdw

Cup O’ Joes is great! ?

Thanks

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
Not sure where accusatory comes from, I only asked if you were from Cup O’ Joes is all... :)

I was merely curious, to know if you were staff or owner here on the forum, gracing us with your presence! bdw

Cup O’ Joes is great! ?

Thanks
Sorry if I took it the wrong way, but it just seemed like an odd question to me. We have a few great shops here, but like ADKpiper said, the tax makes you buy online and I have mentioned the tobacco tax repeatedly in the past because I feel bad for these small businesses and want to keep them around. I usually buy pipes and accessories locally.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Sorry if I took it the wrong way, but it just seemed like an odd question to me. We have a few great shops here, but like ADKpiper said, the tax makes you buy online and I have mentioned the tobacco tax repeatedly in the past because I feel bad for these small businesses and want to keep them around. I usually buy pipes and accessories locally.

Not sure what’s odd about asking if someone is from a company.
Ahhh going incognito are ya... :col:

It’s all good! Happy New Year! ??

Status
Not open for further replies.