Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
That's a great looking box set of some very nice tobaccos. Although, I don't care for Royal Yacht, but many people do. That's a great collector's piece, and there is nothing wrong with enjoying them as they are.

Reactions: Leomania

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
If you can save them another ten years they may be worth a lesser fortune. I would expect values over 500 dollars, if not double if you sell them in the future.
Hello. Just checking back in on the thread after a few busy days in Real Life.

From what I've found, they quickly sell for about $600 on pipestud on the occasions that he has had them, so I'm thinking an auction site like tinbids may very well fetch closer to $1k even these days. I am very tempted to sell them now, but yes... the idea of saving them another is also tempting.

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
After getting a few offers from another site, I decided to go ahead and post them for sale here in the tobacco sale subforum. The rules require that a price has to be stated, so while I went high, it isn't much above those offers, and the forum rules also say that offers can be made...

There was a time when I had enough disposable income to waste it wherever I wanted, and I learned that the old saying of "a fool and his money are soon parted" only applies if the amount of money in question has any meaning to the spender. There's always that group of people to whom wanting something is the only deciding factor in obtaining it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
After getting a few offers from another site, I decided to go ahead and post them for sale here in the tobacco sale subforum. The rules require that a price has to be stated, so while I went high, it isn't much above those offers, and the forum rules also say that offers can be made...

There was a time when I had enough disposable income to waste it wherever I wanted, and I learned that the old saying of "a fool and his money are soon parted" only applies if the amount of money in question has any meaning to the spender. There's always that group of people to whom wanting something is the only deciding factor in obtaining it.
You’re almost as good a salesman as me!

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
You’re almost as good a salesman as me!
Thanks! I have a number of things that I paid top dollar for over the years because they were uncommon, I absolutely wanted them, and they were within my "no problem" price range at each given time. I still think, "How cool is it that I have that!" The more time that goes by, the less the price matters.

For me, the real eye rollers are people spending money on either common things that are expensive only because of a brand, or on something that is expensive because it is artificially rarefied. "We can make 1000 of these things and price them at $10, or we can make 100 of them and price them at $200."

• Love
Reactions: woodsroad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Thanks! I have a number of things that I paid top dollar for over the years because they were uncommon, I absolutely wanted them, and they were within my "no problem" price range at each given time. I still think, "How cool is it that I have that!" The more time that goes by, the less the price matters.

For me, the real eye rollers are people spending money on either common things that are expensive only because of a brand, or on something that is expensive because it is artificially rarefied. "We can make 1000 of these things and price them at $10, or we can make 100 of them and price them at $200."
I'm a shopper, but every now and then, something comes along where price doesn't matter quite as much. As I get older, though, I've been selling off some stuff. I'm happy that many of my unreasonable acquisitions are now worth exponentially more than I paid for them. Took a decade or three, but the payoff vindicates my temporary insanity.
Why didn't I buy even more unfired Finnish M39's?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I'm a shopper, but every now and then, something comes along where price doesn't matter quite as much. As I get older, though, I've been selling off some stuff. I'm happy that many of my unreasonable acquisitions are now worth exponentially more than I paid for them. Took a decade or three, but the payoff vindicates my temporary insanity.
Why didn't I buy even more unfired Finnish M39's?
Same with the aging and selling things. This week I sold a relatively now unattainable set of motorcycle parts that few are interested in, but are in high demand from those folks.

Don't get me started on firearms! Sold off almost all of that when I left the country for a while. Unfired Belgian FAL, rare HK sporting rifles, an unfired pre-production Detonics that was from a set of 16, and on and on. A lot of stuff acquired during my more spendable income days.

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I’m really curious to know what these eventually sell for.
The rules dictated that I state a selling price, and even when I worded it accurately as "hoping to get $900" the post was deleted. I only put that price because the standing offer I already have is not far below that... I have no expectation of getting $900, and tried to emphasize that people can ignore that and make offers via IM.

We shall see.