PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Smoke Queen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I put this in the British Pipes section (vs the generic "show us" section).
Wow, what a find. I'd say those stems are perfect for regular use, unlike a long churchwarden stem.
That must have been a special order set (right?) and a bit of a indulgence for someone in 1928. Do you know who restored them?
I don't know much about who restored them/ seller. He is on eBay under the name jwl1010 his name is Jon. They sure are amazing I'm very happy with them! Thank you
Churchwardens are great in any chair with arms, resting the elbow holding the pipe for easy sips as you meditate the universe. Those are some handsome briars.
Yes they are indeed! Thank you!

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
Bellissima!
That's a seriously nice set from the 'Roaring Twenties'.
The icing on the cake has got to be the fitted case, the inside of which appears to be in super-duper condition.
You could devote the Dublin shape to Latakia blends and the Billiard to Virginias or vice versa.

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
Unless it works differently for pipes destined to go abroad your set could be a few years older than the seller indicated.
You would expect to see a Royal Warrant - the Prince of Wales feathers - above the text inside the fitted case of a set from 1928 as for example on this case from 1922 ...
1627125230625.png

... and on this case from 1930
1627125782753.png

Moreover, the fitted case would not be pre-1921 carrying 1928 pipes as I believe the custom was to make the cases to fit the pipes and not the other way round.

According to John Loring, "In 1921 the Royal Warrant was received by Edward, Prince of Wales and his Royal Crest was used up to 1936 ..."
1627126485779.png

An example from 1920 of case nomenclature which looks identical to the nomenclature on your case
1627125401006.png
1627126932808.png

• Love
Reactions: Smoke Queen

Smoke Queen

Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Bellissima!
That's a seriously nice set from the 'Roaring Twenties'.
The icing on the cake has got to be the fitted case, the inside of which appears to be in super-duper condition.
You could devote the Dublin shape to Latakia blends and the Billiard to Virginias or vice versa.
Yes indeed I agree! Thank you!

Bwana Kiko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2021
Uganda
I'm late to the thread, but I think your pipes are absolutely gorgeous. I'm interested to get "the rest of the story" -- how did they smoke? What did you smoke?

I'm sitting here with a CW now which I find makes everything delicious.

Smoke Queen

Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm late to the thread, but I think your pipes are absolutely gorgeous. I'm interested to get "the rest of the story" -- how did they smoke? What did you smoke?

I'm sitting here with a CW now which I find makes everything delicious.
Thank you! They smoke wonderfully, they're very light, I love to clench ? and I usually smoke Latakias, Burleys, Cavendish, Virginias. But I still have to get some Dunhill tobacco..

Reactions: Scottishgaucho

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Beautiful collection fit for a ...well, a Queen, which you are. Congratulations on your new score...enjoy them for many years to come. Stay healthy and beautiful and enjoy your newest acquistion.

• Love

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Wow, I just saw this thread. Queen, those pipes are just too cool. Your collection is awesome. What I really like about it is that most all your pipes are classic shapes. My collection is also made up of the classics. A perfectly carved Billiard can't be beat in my opinion.

• Love

Smoke Queen

Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Very cool! They appear unsmoked, are they? If not someone took very good care of them. Plus the case wow
Yes many of the pipes I have are unsmoked but as I show them here I smoke them... I'm not planning on ever parting with them and I really enjoy trying each one and discovering differences etc

Smoke Queen

Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wow, I just saw this thread. Queen, those pipes are just too cool. Your collection is awesome. What I really like about it is that most all your pipes are classic shapes. My collection is also made up of the classics. A perfectly carved Billiard can't be beat in my opinion.
Thank you! And I agree there's something about billiards I find can't compare, and I'm just discovering this now as I acquire them. So this has been not just a most enjoyable smoking experience with then but a great learning experience