PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have several pipes that are over 100 years old. This one just happens to be in reach...

Louis Blumfeld Calabash hallmarked 1909. I have seen a catalog photo along with a model for this particular piece, but I’ll be darned if I can remember what that would be.

5-EE5-F509-BEC7-4-FFE-A165-4-E95-EA365-A9-F.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
All of these are beautiful! Holding them must give a wonderful sense of history in every one!
I can't speak for anyone else, but that's certainly true for me. For example, the Barling magnum is more than just an ancient pipe. It's a social statement. The person for whom it was made was someone of great wealth and someone who would have the time to enjoy a long smoke, maybe landed gentry, possibly aristocracy. In the 19th century, tobacco was an expensive luxury to be enjoyed in small amounts, and most people worked long hours, 6 to 6 1/2 days a week. The vast majority of the population could not afford, much less find the time, to use a pipe like this one.

Also, I really like the line and proportions of these vintage pipes. For example, I like long stemmed pipes, not churchwardens per se, but pipes of average length where the stem is longer than the shank. That proportion was readily available in the early 20th century, but rare to find in a pipe in this day and age.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Jeez Louise! Some lovely inspiring pictures here...
What kind of money would one be talking for good condition 100+ year old pipes... I'm getting on ebay for a while. You never what might pop up. Would love to be able to post some pictures that would not embarrass me in thread like this. Kudos to posters here! Hah

achtman

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2017
I can't speak for anyone else, but that's certainly true for me. For example, the Barling magnum is more than just an ancient pipe. It's a social statement. The person for whom it was made was someone of great wealth and someone who would have the time to enjoy a long smoke, maybe landed gentry, possibly aristocracy. In the 19th century, tobacco was an expensive luxury to be enjoyed in small amounts, and most people worked long hours, 6 to 6 1/2 days a week. The vast majority of the population could not afford, much less find the time, to use a pipe like this one.

For me it is not the history per se, but rather the style. Here is a selection of old BBBs from the beginning of the 20th century. Each is different, and all differ from any modern pipe I have ever seen.

1900 Cavalier with horn stem, bone tenon and horn receptacle at the bottom.

Poker with mil mount14701

An Oom Poul (Hungarian) but different from every other Oom Poul I have ever seen.

An absolutely miniscule Calabash, which smokes like a dream

Or even a simple Glokar billiard (has a similar button to a Peterson). But none of the pipes I have seen post-1950 would look like this, and very few post 1930.

I guess I just really like the shape of old pipes.
Mark

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
As some point I have to get off my fundament and photograph some of the others, like some of the '20's era Kaywoodies, Comoys, Dunhills, and other old stuff. People must be bored with seeing these same old pipes.
you know that's shockingly similar to how some ladies have felt about themselves. "You really must be bored looking at me again?". Nope there are some things that can be gazed at all day and some pipes fit that bill.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
one thing I can see in the older pipes is that smoking was more common. They had reason to cater to wider demographics. And not just in terms of expendable cash, but also free time and social activities. Another thing I've noticed is that there seemed to be more distance from face to pipe because of long stems, almost like they know at some point you're going to sit down and write something. Just waxing over these great pipes, wonderful thread truly.

Reactions: Casual

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
For me it is not the history per se, but rather the style. Here is a selection of old BBBs from the beginning of the 20th century. Each is different, and all differ from any modern pipe I have ever seen.

View attachment 14699

Poker with mil mountView attachment 14701

View attachment 14700

An Oom Poul (Hungarian) but different from every other Oom Poul I have ever seen.
View attachment 14702

View attachment 14703

Or even a simple Glokar billiard (has a similar button to a Peterson). But none of the pipes I have seen post-1950 would look like this, and very few post 1930.

View attachment 14704

Mark
All are beautiful that you show.... but I am especially enamored with the design of the 1900 Cavalier. I presume the cap on the bottom unscrews? Perhaps to “drain” moisture?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

View attachment 14699

Poker with mil mountView attachment 14701

View attachment 14700

View attachment 14702

View attachment 14703

View attachment 14704

Mark
Mark,
These are just gorgeous pipes. The Oom Poul is very similar to the Barling version of this shape.

achtman

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2017
Mark,
These are just gorgeous pipes. The Oom Poul is very similar to the Barling version of this shape.
Can you post a picture please? Until now the only ones I know are the Comoy’s shape and a Sommer, Paris Oom Poul I have.

Recently an early BBB Oom Poul was sold on eBay which looked totally different again.

Mark

achtman

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2017
All are beautiful that you show.... but I am especially enamored with the design of the 1900 Cavalier. I presume the cap on the bottom unscrews? Perhaps to “drain” moisture?
Yes the receptacle (cap) at the bottom is to capture fluid. A cavalier is drilled straight into the bowl with a second angled borehole down to the receptacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.