PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevm

Lurker
Oct 20, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi everyone

I have come into possession of a tin of Lloyds' Captive Rich Mottled Flake from the 1920's and a packet of Rubicon Spun Cut from the 1930's. Does anyone know if this tobacco would be okay to open and smoke, or are they best left sealed as collectibles?

Last edited by a moderator:

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Hi everyone

I have come into possession of a tin of Lloyds' Captive Rich Mottled Flake from the 1920's and a packet of Rubicon Spun Cut from the 1930's. Does anyone know if this tobacco would be okay to open and smoke, or are they best left sealed as collectibles?
It’s a crap shoot as to whether it would be a good smoke but it is most likely safe to smoke.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Depends on so many factors. The chance that it isn’t complete crap is marginal at best. Those Virginia’s died decades ago. Any flavorings have devolved into sludge.
The burley might still taste like burley, if you can still taste it past the general nastiness.
But if you’re desirous of experiencing the thrill of smoking century old tobacco go for it. Just make sure that you have some mouthwash on hand.

kevm

Lurker
Oct 20, 2019
Depends on so many factors. The chance that it isn’t complete crap is marginal at best. Those Virginia’s died decades ago. Any flavorings have devolved into sludge.
The burley might still taste like burley, if you can still taste it past the general nastiness.
But if you’re desirous of experiencing the thrill of smoking century old tobacco go for it. Just make sure that you have some mouthwash on hand.
Thanks. That's just the kind of info I was looking for. I might just leave it sealed ?

I've just never heard anyone smoke a 100 year old tobacco and be all like, it was nirvana. 20 years old, sure. 40 years old, maybe. But, 100 years old... it most likely has molded, then the mold gave way to dust, then the tobacco has transformed into mulch and dirt, over and over again many times.

40 years is my limit on purchasing an old tobacco to taste, but even then I know it's a coin flip. 20 years, even then, not all tobacco tastes better with age. But, at least you'll know after trying it. I've been through several tins purchased by my pipe club from Pipestud, pitching in $10 to $20 for a try is worth it, but I'll not be buying a whole tin to "try." Pouring $100+ worth of mulch into the garbage just isn't part of my game plan.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've just never heard anyone smoke a 100 year old tobacco and be all like, it was nirvana. 20 years old, sure. 40 years old, maybe. But, 100 years old... it most likely has molded, then the mold gave way to dust, then the tobacco has transformed into mulch and dirt, over and over again many times.

40 years is my limit on purchasing an old tobacco to taste, but even then I know it's a coin flip. 20 years, even then, not all tobacco tastes better with age. But, at least you'll know after trying it. I've been through several tins purchased by my pipe club from Pipestud, pitching in $10 to $20 for a try is worth it, but I'll not be buying a whole tin to "try." Pouring $100+ worth of mulch into the garbage just isn't part of my game plan.
Having smoked some 100 year old tobaccos on several occasions, I can attest that it is one of the most disgusting flavor experiences I have had. I would definitely wish it on my worst enemy.

And why I tried this out more than once can only be attributed to toxic stubbornness in the face of reality. There's this nagging feeling that it's just that one tin. No it ain't.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you do the smoking party, have several premium tins of new tobacco on hand, but hidden. If the century old leaf isn't pleasing, break out the "good stuff" and continue. I think that twenty years is about the maximum to benefit aging, or even preserve smoke ability. After that, it's pure luck, and mostly lack thereof. Even fine wines hit their limits and go downhill. If it is useable, it will deteriorate fast. That's why the party is a good idea. By the time you'd smoke it up, it would be mummy dust.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.