PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
Aaargh!! I had no idea how much I wouldn't like this briar stem! At my age dry mouth is already a thing to some extent, and this stem sucks all the moisture out of my mouth. It feels quite bad to have in my mouth, sort of like a piece of tissue or paper towel. It reminds me of smoking a clay pipe with an unfinished stem with no paint or chap stick on it, it kind of like sticks to my lips a little. I'll have to think of a way to make it more palatable. Maybe some food grade mineral oil, chapstick, or even a coating of polyurethane. Any suggestions?
Dang, sorry to hear about that experience! Chapstick seems like a good place to start since I doubt it'll have any permanence should you decide you don't like it. You might also want to start a new thread in the repair and maintenance section.

Reactions: agnosticpipe

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Aaargh!! I had no idea how much I wouldn't like this briar stem! At my age dry mouth is already a thing to some extent, and this stem sucks all the moisture out of my mouth. It feels quite bad to have in my mouth, sort of like a piece of tissue or paper towel. It reminds me of smoking a clay pipe with an unfinished stem with no paint or chap stick on it, it kind of like sticks to my lips a little. I'll have to think of a way to make it more palatable. Maybe some food grade mineral oil, chapstick, or even a coating of polyurethane. Any suggestions?
So they're recommended for droolers?

• Haha
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I have this Briarcliff - only briar stem I've handled. It's a beautiful pipe but the metal ring is stuck to the stem (should be the shank, per a member here).

KQWHFYy.jpeg

P4TYWNV.jpeg

Reactions: FLDRD

happy_lunter

Lifer
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
Sorry about your experience. Let us know how you decided to address the issue. Thanks to comments in this thread, though, I know that I won’t be checking out any pipes with briar stem in Chicago. I will probably stick to either horn or acrylic stems.

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
I have a pipe with a box stem, which apparently is common enough thing with recorders. Several people from that community recommended sweet almond oil. It isn't an overnight solution, but it's definitely helped.

Nice! I agree about French pipes. I've had a couple Chacoms, still have one of them and smoke it often. Very elegant shape. The other one had a unique bone stem. I sold that to a friend years ago whom fell in love with it and have regretted it ever since!