Do You have a Pipe You can’t Bring Yourself to Smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I do not. I picked up a 1983 unsmoked Dunhill Christmas pipe last year with the intention of smoking it, and I did a few times. Though I only will smoke it from time to time, I’ll definitely continue to do so.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
So many beautiful pipes and stories on this thread. Great responses.....

I have one pipe that I just cannot bring myself to smoke. It belonged to my dad and he smoked it when I was a small child, back in the sixties. It is a very humble Medico pipe and it was stored away and got broke somehow. I had it restored a year or two ago and here is a before and after picture. It is on the original stand that dad used.

Trivia question: On that original stand, there is a small slot in the front of where the bowl sits. Do any of you know what that slot was for??

View attachment 296495
View attachment 296496
Do you know why you can't bring yourself to smoke it? Of course no judgement with your decision; I just find it interesting as I would've thought that some with one of their dad's pipes would love to smoke it and think of him.

Reactions: Choatecav

Cappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Louisiana
Yes, I have a new pipe I haven't been able to bring myself to smoke. It's one of the last of the pipes to come out of Smio Satou's workshop. In fact, before I lit it up for the first time, I learned of Mr. Satou's death. Since then, I haven't been able to smoke it. It's like I am keeping it as a memorial to him. Here's the pic. IMG_7264.jpeg

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Do you know why you can't bring yourself to smoke it? Of course no judgement with your decision; I just find it interesting as I would've thought that some with one of their dad's pipes would love to smoke it and think of him.
You make an excellent point and I wish I had a good, clear cut answer. I have actually waffled back and forth on the matter and thought about lighting it up and knowing that he was the last to smoke it.... then I decide to back away from it and not steal that last smoke from him.

I can tell you one thing...... if I ever do decide to light it up, I know what I will pack the bowl with. Sir Walter Raleigh regular will be the blend. That is all I ever saw him smoke.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
You make an excellent point and I wish I had a good, clear cut answer. I have actually waffled back and forth on the matter and thought about lighting it up and knowing that he was the last to smoke it.... then I decide to back away from it and not steal that last smoke from him.

I can tell you one thing...... if I ever do decide to light it up, I know what I will pack the bowl with. Sir Walter Raleigh regular will be the blend. That is all I ever saw him smoke.
Yeah I understand. It sounds like part of it is just that it probably just has to feel like that special time. Sounds like that time has come close but not quite arrived. Please do share with us if/when that time comes! And hopefully you've got some SWR ready in case the time catches you by surprise.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Yeah I understand. It sounds like part of it is just that it probably just has to feel like that special time. Sounds like that time has come close but not quite arrived. Please do share with us if/when that time comes! And hopefully you've got some SWR ready in case the time catches you by surprise.
Thanks for that reply. It was well worded and very touching.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I bought this Sasieni "Natural" Four-Dot Ashton unsmoked. I told myself that I would smoke it on some momentous life event. My first grandchild was born in 2016, and I smoked it on the patio at their home the day she was born. She's still my favorite human being, but lives 1000 miles away. I don't smoke it a lot, but when I do, I'm reminded of that day and the joy she has brought to my life.

1710985269818.jpeg

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I have a Genod panel that I kept for years without smoking it because it's such a lovely and well-made piece and I didn't want to char the rim. I always really wanted to smoke it, but couldn't bring myself to do so.
Eventually I came to the conclusion that life is too short not to enjoy the pipe as it was intended to be enjoyed, rather than keeping it as a display piece. It's an excellent smoker and I've managed not to char the rim as of yet.

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I have two but can't bring myself to smoke for other reasons. I have one Savinelli Poker that my parents got me for my 18th birthday ten years ago and one Peterson system pipe my parents got for me two Christmas' ago. The first I cannot smoke because of how sentimental it is for me and simply enjoy looking at it. The latter however, has this horrible taste that is akin to the taste of fake blood capsules (if you have ever trick-or-treated as a vampire or done a school film, you'll know the awful rancid peanut/chemical taste they have) that will not dissipate no matter how much I smoke it. It is however, a piece I remember my parents by and cannot ever bring myself to part with.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I have two but can't bring myself to smoke for other reasons. I have one Savinelli Poker that my parents got me for my 18th birthday ten years ago and one Peterson system pipe my parents got for me two Christmas' ago. The first I cannot smoke because of how sentimental it is for me and simply enjoy looking at it. The latter however, has this horrible taste that is akin to the taste of fake blood capsules (if you have ever trick-or-treated as a vampire or done a school film, you'll know the awful rancid peanut/chemical taste they have) that will not dissipate no matter how much I smoke it. It is however, a piece I remember my parents by and cannot ever bring myself to part with.
Well, I don't have a clue as to what fake blood tastes like but it sounds putrid........... Do you reckon there's anyway you could treat the bowl with something to purge that taste??

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Well, I don't have a clue as to what fake blood tastes like but it sounds putrid........... Do you reckon there's anyway you could treat the bowl with something to purge that taste??
It really is. I’ve been meaning to try and treat it with honey or whisky but haven’t got around to it. Maybe now is my sign!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sounds like an oxidized stem.

Reactions: fishmansf

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have two but can't bring myself to smoke for other reasons.
one Peterson system pipe my parents got for me two Christmas' ago. The has this horrible taste that is akin to the taste of fake blood capsules
Have you tried removing that bowl coating ?
Taking it back to wood with sandpaper then doing a cotton ball and alcohol soak will most likely get rid of that horrid taste

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I had a couple of unsmoked pipes I couldn’t seem to bring myself to break in, with different reasons for each pipe. I finally sold them both and bought pipes I wanted to smoke with the money.

I don’t mind collecting things, but I just preferred to roll that money into the pipe/tobacco budget.