PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'll throw more heresy on the fire - I don't like Peterson System pipes......

K.E. Powell

As you can see, you're hardly alone. As for me and my house, we love the p-lip, the graduated bore, the silver army mounts, and muscular and classical stylings of Peterson. It's not for everyone, but I found the more I used the p-lip the more I liked it, even came to prefer it.

Like KE Powell, I had a similar experience. I learned that I only enjoy vulcanite p-lip stems and gravitate toward their high grade lines (or pre-Republic)

We have our IPSD get together this Saturday at Boswells. I'll smoke more pipes there, than all month, so I will be sure to have a Peterson or two for later in the day, to protect my tongue.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
The only p lip I ever liked was the Sav version upward draw with a wide slot.
They work fairly well. Called the Savinelli Dri System.

For me it's the width that make them easy to clench that I like. So I like them better than the older Petes with the narrower bit (they seem to "roll" in my clench); but I find their angle is often different than the Petes, depending on the model / bowl size. Due to that, at least 2 of the 4 Dri Systems I have will be sold off, maybe 3 of them.

Also seems I'm an outlier as I prefer the new, wider acrylic P-lips to the old ones.

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
I'm just putting this out there, not necessarily making any recommendations, but...

For the people who really hate it, if you have patience and a steady hand and a few tools, you can convert a p-lip. It's not hard. Takes anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple of hours depending on how much you care about the cosmetics. Basically just sand down the bit that sticks out behind the button (or cut it off with a dremel), then create a slot (again, a dremel is helpful here). If you don't care if it looks kinda janky, you can pretty much stop there. If you want it to look nicer, then refine the slot with needle files and then sand and polish it up. It still leaves a little bump-out at the top of the slot, but it doesn't affect the smoking properties.

I didn't realize how badly this pipe needed a good cleaning until after I took a close up, but the pic shows what it looks like after.

I mean, it's probably still heresy. But possible. For those unconcerned with the eventual destination of their immortal soul.

unPlip.jpg

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
The p-lip was sort of an acquired taste for me. I guess I got used to it and now I kind of like it. It does seem to me that a P-lip is somehow more "appropriate" for a Peterson pipe than a fishtail.

Here's the problem. If one experiences a too tight draw with a P-lip, it's no simple matter to open it up. Opening through the shank alone may cause or exacerbate a turbulence issue.

Reactions: AroEnglish

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I'm just putting this out there, not necessarily making any recommendations, but...

For the people who really hate it, if you have patience and a steady hand and a few tools, you can convert a p-lip. It's not hard. Takes anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple of hours depending on how much you care about the cosmetics. Basically just sand down the bit that sticks out behind the button (or cut it off with a dremel), then create a slot (again, a dremel is helpful here). If you don't care if it looks kinda janky, you can pretty much stop there. If you want it to look nicer, then refine the slot with needle files and then sand and polish it up. It still leaves a little bump-out at the top of the slot, but it doesn't affect the smoking properties.

I didn't realize how badly this pipe needed a good cleaning until after I took a close up, but the pic shows what it looks like after.

I mean, it's probably still heresy. But possible. For those unconcerned with the eventual destination of their immortal soul.

View attachment 288473
So that is a p-lip that you "modified?"

Cool idea. But this really does make you a heretic......

Reactions: Butter Side Down

marlow-se

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2022
Sweden
I used to not like the P-lip because it felt clunky to clench but I'm ok with them now after using them more and getting more used to them.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Obviously there are many that prefer to avoid the P-lip, but I'm a huge fan, and have strongly considered ONLY buying them from this point forward. That being said, my potential issues have always involved the tongue, and never the roof of my mouth.

In addition, I spend a lot of time clenching and not holding my pipe, and a fishtail usually gets to my tongue in a clench.

Finally, there are significant differences among various years with the configuration of the P-lip, (in my experience) especially in width, and somewhat in thickness. For me, the newer acrylic P-lips are wider and enhance my grip and comfort by an extremely large %. The older ones seem to "roll" in clench a little more because they are narrower.

All in all, if you've a P-lip you want to get rid of, I just might like it well enough to purchase it.
I agree with this, except I don’t have any bent pipes. The button shape on the p-lip allows me to clench straight Petes straight, but as with @didimauw, my other straight pipes with traditional bits hang downward with bit behind teeth against palate. This leads me to have a preference for saddle stems-regular tapered stems slide unless I’m chomping down more.

If Pete puts the newer P-lip (and I much prefer vulcanite) that they did for the Short Army on other lines I will probably splurge on giving bent pipes a try again, probably with a 314.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I like plips as someone who is a clencher but it’s true that I can’t let the pipe hang as low with a plip as the draft hole can be blocked by my teeth (if that makes sense).

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
The first pipe I ever smoked was a Peterson P-lip. First pipe I owned was a P-lip (<-- that one). I enjoy them. I always get my Petersons with P-lips because I can get a fishtail everywhere else.

I don't have a strong opinion on them. Just something fun to change up.

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
Love the p-lip. I try to buy the Petersons I see and love with acrylic stems and those tend to be p-lips. Took me a bit to "get" the p-lip and where to position my lips on the stem, but once I got it I loved it.

Reactions: FLDRD