PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
For the last week or so, I’ve been trying to smoke up all the opened pouches of “drug store” brand tobaccos I have stashed away in my garage and office, and it’s a pleasant task because any brand that uses propylene glycol as a preservative has an almost indefinite shelf life, even after opening.

Some of these opened pouches are at least a decade or more old.

Does anybody have any facts and history on the use of propylene glycol to keep tobacco fresh?

No maker is proud to say they use it, but when you open a 2004 copyright date pouch of Carter Hall and it’s still good, I suppose every brand in the drug stores uses it.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
For the last week or so, I’ve been trying to smoke up all the opened pouches of “drug store” brand tobaccos I have stashed away in my garage and office, and it’s a pleasant task because any brand that uses propylene glycol as a preservative has an almost indefinite shelf life, even after opening.

Some of these opened pouches are at least a decade or more old.

Does anybody have any facts and history on the use of propylene glycol to keep tobacco fresh?

No maker is proud to say they use it, but when you open a 2004 copyright date pouch of Carter Hall and it’s still good, I suppose every brand in the drug stores uses it.
It is in almost everything you eat, drink or smoke. Look it up and see for yourself. I agree about tobacco, I opened up a tub of Carter Hall from 10 years go, and it is just like I bought it yesterday, either you like the results or you don't, the final decision is made by you, regardless what any one else thinks. Boo 4.gif

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It is in almost everything you eat, drink or smoke. Look it up and see for yourself. I agree about tobacco, I opened up a tub of Carter Hall from 10 years go, and it is just like I bought it yesterday, either you like the results or you don't, the final decision is made by you, regardless what any one else thinks. View attachment 110594
but any idea when it was first widely used in tobacco?

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012

Reactions: UB 40 and Briar Lee

OldRocko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2021
South Florida USA
PG is used in a wide variety of applications like cosmetics, pharma, food, paints, and plastics; and for industrial uses such as coolant or as solvent. It's available for human consumption, considered low to non-toxic, and can be injected, inhaled, rubbed, or eaten. It's a major component of e-liquids. Although it may not seem very appealing, this one of many chemical compounds we commonly use and depend on.

forloveoffreedom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2013
PG doesn’t seem very healthy to me. Back in the day when I used vaping devices, it burned my throat and if it’s in soaps or deodorants, I get a rash. Perhaps allergic or it’s just bad stuff idk.

Reactions: Cap

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never zeroed in on how PG tastes, which is really a blessing, since some of the so-called OTC blends have it, and I enjoy a few of those. Most blends, even bag tobacco, don't. However, I do have a small jar with the small leavings of some 1-Q in it, and it remains not just moist but wet, all these years. It's like the Twinkie nailed to the barn wall that remains eternally "fresh," like Lenin's entombed body, but not requiring periodic restoration of the embalming and plasticization. Tobacco can go stale with mold, or simply by drying to dust. But mostly, it preserves fairly well, so that I'm surprised that PG was ever thought necessary or advantageous, since many smokers can taste it and don't like it.

Reactions: Cap

Dublin Old Man

Might Stick Around
Aug 22, 2020
Dublin, Ohio
I have noticed that some tobacco blends do not dry and have a rubbery feel to them. When smoked, those blends don't burn well or stay lit, have a harsh/hot taste, and leave excess moisture in the bowl. I assumed it was from PG. Some manufacturers use it heavily. I don't buy tobacco from those manufacturers.

Cap

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2022
S.W Michigan (For Now)
Fresh 14 ounce tub of prince albert and i thought it was a newer pipe causing a problem.

Turns out i have about 7 pipes that smoke terrible and leave a burning chemical taste in my mouth and throat.

Been almost a week and i have not been able to get a decent smoke. Every tobacco taste the same (like chemicals)

I hate propylene glycol

Reactions: Briar Lee

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
Perhaps it’s a genetic anomaly that some can not taste PG and some can, much like some hate the taste of fresh coriander and some like it. Apparently linked to a gene , so I’ve heard. I personally can’t taste PG and I loathe coriander