PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Can you find anyone who advertises their drilling specs?

I suppose I could e-mail every carver until I find one who does drill to my standards but without running a mass information gathering campaign there is no way to know who makes their pipes to what standards.
This is a universal problem with the pipemaking industry as a whole.
I can if you can explain to me, with anything approaching an informed manner, why that matters, why that is necessary. Generally, when I want more information I get off my ass and find it. I don't expect the world to cater to me.
Having made that effort over the years, talking with carvers, briatr merchants, distributors, blenders, etc, I've learned quite a bit about pipes and tobaccos. Maybe if you make that effort you'll eventually learn something about them as well.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I don’t think there’s a pipe smoker, with more than a few briar pipes, that doesn’t admit all smoke just a little differently, and some few are stinkers and some few are gloriously righteous smokers.

No matter what brand you buy or who carved it, they all accept a standard pipe cleaner.

All briar of quality comes from the roots of older Heath trees along the coast of the Mediterranean and no place else. The same Heath trees anywhere else on earth are only used as a novelty.

There are resins in Heath tree roots grown on hills around the Mediterranean that taste yummy.

For over 150 years somebody over there has graded and tried selling the yummiest tasting Heath tree roots.

Isn’t that kind of like Havana cigars?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don’t think there’s a pipe smoker, with more than a few briar pipes, that doesn’t admit all smoke just a little differently, and some few are stinkers and some few are gloriously righteous smokers.
You know one now. Outside of aesthetics, I notice no difference in the smoking quality between one well drilled pipe and another. When I still had these, outside of different surface finishes, they smoked identically.

20200510_091214.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.