PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Please capitalize important words in title. (Rule 9)

Total rookie topic I know but I've been thinking of spreading my wings and dabbling in high-end briar pipes. I've been eyeing some Ser Jacopo, Castello and Dunhills. I've researched alot and keep seeing a common theory that they just smoke sweeter. Not that the drilling, fit and finish are phenomenal which they typically are but that the briar is just that much better. I'm a meerschaum smoker typically and I have run if the mill Savinelli, peterson, aldo velani, Boswell pipes. Am I going to really ascend into the heavans near the brink of climax when I smoke one of these 300 plus dollar pipes? Or is more of status symbol and really no better than run of the mill pipes but I can't admit that and just tell everyone how amazing they are and you haven't smoked anything until you try one if these puppies?

Last edited by a moderator:

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
A high end, premium briar pipe is a beautiful thing. Or it can be if high end means well made with actually good briar and thoughtful craftsmanship and not just high price. But when all is said and done, "pipes is pipes" and what matters is how you smoke and what you smoke. My top notch pipes with premium briar don't necessarily smoke better than any lower end pipe that is well made. A lot of placebo effect comes into play also.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Only reason I'm even wanting to dabble in them is this sweet smoke people keep raving about. I have many high end meerschaum. You can smoke the wettest tobacco you want in many if my reverse Calabash pipes and the bowl won't even be wet when you are done. But to my pallet a meerschaum mutes the flavor forever compared to a briar. I don't know what's going on I just know tobacco tastes different in each. Now my briars I have I suspect I don't break them in properly as I rarely let cake develop. I paper towel ream the bowls after each day. I'm just a guy chasing that ultimate smoke with a damn financially crippling case of PAD LOL.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think you will find that the brands you chose are all good ones. I never had a bad smoking Castello. I would go with them first so you will get a baseline of how a great pipe should smoke like. The shape and size will make a difference especially when smoking different cuts of tobacco. You will most likely have to pack the Castello firmer than any pipe you probably have in your collection. The shanks on those are usually around 4.5 mm. I like a wide open draw like that which is why I smoke American artisan pipes only.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
I think you will find that the brands you chose are all good ones. I never had a bad smoking Castello. I would go with them first so you will get a baseline of how a great pipe should smoke like. The shape and size will make a difference especially when smoking different cuts of tobacco. You will most likely have to pack the Castello firmer than any pipe you probably have in your collection. The shanks on those are usually around 4.5 mm. I like a wide open draw like that which is why I smoke American artisan pipes only.
I smoke 6mm meerschaums bareback so I love a big draw. Hell even a 5.99 Cob with the filter ripped out is wide open. Those Castello Sea Rock's are making my left eye twinge and my wallet shutter. Is there anything to years or eras of Castello or just buy any of them

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
While your odds on getting a better piece of wood increase with those makers who enjoy good relationships with the mills and cutters, briar varies from block to block so it's always a bit of a crap shoot.

Personally, I find that moisture levels play a more important role with flavor than anything else, briar variations and all.

Paying more for a pipe involves more than the chunk of wood. You're paying for aesthetics, a more comfortable bit, careful fit and finish, the maker's costs - which include wastage of blocks that didn't measure up, and reputation.

As for "sweet smoking" pipes, none of the makes you mentioned have fit the bill for me. They're good pipes, not noticeably better than a lot of other pipes. Sweet smokers happen when they happen, a sort of felicitous bit of luck. Three of mine came from Lee Von Erck, pipes that he carved about a decade ago. Other Von Erck pipes don't have that quality. I think it's the briar more than the maker when it comes to these fine points.

Try experimenting with different chamber shapes and sizes to find what you're looking for. That will matter more than the external shaping, staining, graining, etc. Chamber geometry has some effect on burning rates, which in turn affect flavors when the blend is at optimal moisture.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
While your odds on getting a better piece of wood increase with those makers who enjoy good relationships with the mills and cutters, briar varies from block to block so it's always a bit of a crap shoot.

Personally, I find that moisture levels play a more important role with flavor than anything else, briar variations and all.

Paying more for a pipe involves more than the chunk of wood. You're paying for aesthetics, a more comfortable bit, careful fit and finish, the maker's costs - which include wastage of blocks that didn't measure up, and reputation.

As for "sweet smoking" pipes, none of the makes you mentioned have fit the bill for me. They're good pipes, not noticeably better than a lot of other pipes. Sweet smokers happen when they happen, a sort of felicitous bit of luck. Three of mine came from Lee Von Erck, pipes that he carved about a decade ago. Other Von Erck pipes don't have that quality. I think it's the briar more than the maker when it comes to these fine points.

Try experimenting with different chamber shapes and sizes to find what you're looking for. That will matter more than the external shaping, staining, graining, etc. Chamber geometry has some effect on burning rates, which in turn affect flavors when the blend is at optimal moisture.
Great info. I'm learning that I like tapered chambers alot as opposed to straight wall. Don't why but I just do.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've researched alot and keep seeing a common theory that they just smoke sweeter.
I've owned all three and haven't noticed any smoking difference between them and fairly well drilled basket pipes.

Am I going to really ascend into the heavans near the brink of climax when I smoke one of these 300 plus dollar pipes?
I've got artisan pieces less than $200 that exceed my four figure pipes in smokability.

Or is more of status symbol and really no better than run of the mill pipes but I can't admit that and just tell everyone how amazing they are and you haven't smoked anything until you try one if these puppies?
Mostly a luxury expense. I openly say that they are no better than mid range pipes and you've already exceeded them with your meers but if you see one you must have and it's within your means, have at it. You may find you enjoy the maker's shaping or stem work but they'll mostly be on par with any other well drilled pipe.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I've wanted to like his work but could never find one than made me pull the trigger.
Fair call. And to be honest, he is the only artisan I have pipes of. I just find his button work awesome, the draw is spot on, and since the OP mentioned the sea rock finish, I like how aldens are generally sandblast finish.

also, to be fair, all of my Alden pipes combined could probably fit in the chamber of your new meer. Lol

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Fair call. And to be honest, he is the only artisan I have pipes of. I just find his button work awesome, the draw is spot on, and since the OP mentioned the sea rock finish, I like how aldens are generally sandblast finish.

also, to be fair, all of my Alden pipes combined could probably fit in the chamber of your new meer. Lol
I've had a few discussions with Brian regarding commissions but nothing ever panned out. I do love his morta work.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Yes, better briars smoke better than ordinary briars.

When you read the old advertisements and also what few books were written by pipe makers during the golden age of pipe smoking, which featured huge pipe companies churning out millions of pipes year,,,

They assumed construction was good.

They knew there was prettier briar, than plain briar,

But the same pipe makers, sold identical shaped pipes in identical sizes, ranging in price from a dollar to ten dollars, and there are still scads of those pipes for sale today, the higher grades often unsmoked in boxes.

They knew how to select briar for a ten dollar pipe to sell to a sophisticated costumer who could buy a Dunhill for ten dollars, that smoked divinely.

Today, the artisan maker who’s selling a pipe for hundreds of dollars had better, use better tasting and not just prettier looking briar.

The vast majority of briar pipes today are actually bought by the consumer, not as gifts. He smokes them, and he won’t buy a bad tasting pipe twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.