PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I suppose I'm only truly reaching out to Peterson fans because I know many don't like Petersons for this and maybe other reasons. I just received a brand new Peterson Aran 999 and the drilling seems even more off. I haven't smoked it as I don't know if it needs to be returned. My question is, does anyone have a bent Peterson that looks like this drilling and does not have any issues with it? Would you be concerned? Folks talk a lot about quality pipes and how well they're drilled, but then I spend $100 and get this. The first pic is looking straight down the shaft, the second is slightly angled so you can at least see where the hole is actually drilled.

aran1.jpeg aran2.jpegaran3.jpegaran4.jpegaran1.jpegaran2.jpegaran3.jpegaran4.jpeg

Reactions: danimalia

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I suppose I'm only truly reaching out to Peterson fans because I know many don't like Petersons for this and maybe other reasons. I just received a brand new Peterson Aran 999 and the drilling seems even more off. I haven't smoked it as I don't know if it needs to be returned. My question is, does anyone have a bent Peterson that looks like this drilling and does not have any issues with it? Would you be concerned? Folks talk a lot about quality pipes and how well they're drilled, but then I spend $100 and get this. The first pic is looking straight down the shaft, the second is slightly angled so you can at least see where the hole is actually drilled.

View attachment 73709 View attachment 73746View attachment 73747View attachment 73748View attachment 73709View attachment 73746View attachment 73747View attachment 73748
That’s normal

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Normal. From the Peterson's I have they drill that way. I assume to prevent moisture from getting to you mouth. Kinda like what mparker762 said. It is wierd if your wanna of those "I have to pass a pipe cleaner through it" people. That space collects moisture and provides a good smoke. But the say assumptions make an ass out of you and me soooo....my smoke just fine.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
You spent $100 on an Aran?! You must love parting with money.
Isn't that the going price for an Aran with nickel band?

I can't really tell what the issue is. Are you worried that it's drilled too high in the chamber? I mean, I got a Castello last month that was drilled so a pipe cleaner comes out at nearly a 45 degree angle. It smokes fine, so I don't worry about it, but that's a brand that gets near unanimous praise.. I think you should be fine, personally, but I'm far from an expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.