PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Damn when I lived out there I could get a bag of Stonehaven at Rich’s for about $35 a bag. What part of Oregon do you live? I lived there in 2012 to 2014 but I became friends with a chap that worked there so he may or may not have hooked me up. He’d always hold the good stuff for me, he was a great friend to have.
I should correct my earlier post. A tin of Esoterica at Rich's is $29, not $35. Other tins are in that range too.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
So you live in Portland? 82nd Avenue Tobacco shop will hold Esoterica for you and call you when they come in... at least the did when I lived there. They appear to be a headshop on the surface but don’t be put off by that, they have an amazing selection of tobacco (well, again they did when I lived there).

I do remember Oregon prices being much more expensive than what I was used to paying for here in Texas but those prices have drastically increased since I lived there.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Picked up my two bags of PeaceHaven. Picked up a tin of Tillbury and a third bag of Peacehaven. One bowl of Tillbury, good but didn't blow me away. First bowl of Peavehaven quite good, glad I found the the bags. Probably my favorite Eso to date but it's still not in my top 5 Virginia Flakes.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
So you live in Portland? 82nd Avenue Tobacco shop will hold Esoterica for you and call you when they come in... at least the did when I lived there. They appear to be a headshop on the surface but don’t be put off by that, they have an amazing selection of tobacco (well, again they did when I lived there).

I do remember Oregon prices being much more expensive than what I was used to paying for here in Texas but those prices have drastically increased since I lived there.
Yes, I'm in Portland. I know 82nd Ave. Tobacco and rather like the head shop vibe. It does have a nice selection, but prices are comparable to Rich's these days. I'm surprise that it hasn't started selling weed. With legalization, there are probably just as many weed shops here as there are Starbucks; throw a rock in any random direction and you'll hit one.

I managed to pick up a tin of Kingfisher and a bag of Blackpool at Rich's today; I felt kinda of silly paying local prices until I read @hoosierpipeguy sinking in the bucks for 3 bags of Peacehaven!

desrtrat68

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
A day late and a dollar short as usual. I figure I'll luck in to some some day haha..I really just want to try it before I go all in...not gonna risk the wrath of the wife on a big purchase for something I'm not sure about. Although as I write this there's still 5 tins of Pembroke available at Hilands. Enjoy it! (those of you who scored!)

Oct 7, 2016
Picked up my two bags of PeaceHaven. Picked up a tin of Tillbury and a third bag of Peacehaven. One bowl of Tillbury, good but didn't blow me away. First bowl of Peavehaven quite good, glad I found the the bags. Probably my favorite Eso to date but it's still not in my top 5 Virginia Flakes.
Except for the period in the late 1980’s when it was first imported to the US by Steve Richman, virtually every shred of Esoterica I have ever smoked has come from a tin or (jarred) bag that has been in my possession six months or more. I think it tastes better after it has had some time to settle down. Mr. Germain says it is best fresh, but I beg to differ. Opinions vary as to how much if any better it gets with significant age on it, but I think six months to a year or so improves these blends greatly, across the board.

I’m one inclined to like a lot of different styles of tobacco, and don’t have a top five list. Germain’s is an interesting style, and I think many of their blends just don’t have a real equivalent out there. The same would be true of Gawith. And K&K. And Dan. And others.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
So you live in Portland? 82nd Avenue Tobacco shop will hold Esoterica for you and call you when they come in... at least the did when I lived there. They appear to be a headshop on the surface but don’t be put off by that, they have an amazing selection of tobacco (well, again they did when I lived there).[/QU
Yes, I'm in Portland. I know 82nd Ave. Tobacco and rather like the head shop vibe. It does have a nice selection, but prices are comparable to Rich's these days. I'm surprise that it hasn't started selling weed. With legalization, there are probably just as many weed shops here as there are Starbucks; throw a rock in any random direction and you'll hit one.

I managed to pick up a tin of Kingfisher and a bag of Blackpool at Rich's today; I felt kinda of silly paying local prices until I read @hoosierpipeguy sinking in the bucks for 3 bags of Peacehaven!
I love Portland but damn those tobacco taxes! I guess it’s hitting everywhere now though.
Were you still living there when House of Calabash was in Oregon City? Have we had this conversation before? I know I’ve talked with someone here about all of this stuff... it very well could have been you.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Picked up my two bags of PeaceHaven. Picked up a tin of Tillbury and a third bag of Peacehaven. One bowl of Tillbury, good but didn't blow me away.

I think Tillbury is the best of it's kind for a straight up VaBur. It's closet cousin taste-wise is Old Gowrie but for my money Tillbury has more flavor. It's not going to blow you away, it's not really that kind of flake. But let the tin breath a while and a couple weeks from now after it's dried a good bit you may find it really shines. That's been my experience.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Except for the period in the late 1980’s when it was first imported to the US by Steve Richman, virtually every shred of Esoterica I have ever smoked has come from a tin or (jarred) bag that has been in my possession six months or more. I think it tastes better after it has had some time to settle down. Mr. Germain says it is best fresh, but I beg to differ. Opinions vary as to how much if any better it gets with significant age on it, but I think six months to a year or so improves these blends greatly, across the board.

I’m one inclined to like a lot of different styles of tobacco, and don’t have a top five list. Germain’s is an interesting style, and I think many of their blends just don’t have a real equivalent out there. The same would be true of Gawith. And K&K. And Dan. And others.

I think Esoterica being off unique style all of its own is a very good observation and point. Their blends seem milder with more complexity and flavor.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think Tillbury is the best of it's kind for a straight up VaBur. It's closet cousin taste-wise is Old Gowrie but for my money Tillbury has more flavor. It's not going to blow you away, it's not really that kind of flake. But let the tin breath a while and a couple weeks from now after it's dried a good bit you may find it really shines. That's been my experience.

I'll take that advice. Smoking another bowl of Tillbury at the moment. It does have nice flavors. I'll try it again in a few weeks.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
I love Portland but damn those tobacco taxes! I guess it’s hitting everywhere now though.
Were you still living there when House of Calabash was in Oregon City? Have we had this conversation before? I know I’ve talked with someone here about all of this stuff... it very well could have been you.
Yes, I've been in Portland since '94 and met Steve Books when he was with Rich's. His aged tobaccos were quite unique and he was even more singularly unique himself. I loved buying bulk blends from him at Rich's. On days he was particularly pissed with the boss, he'd give you a big fat bag when you asked for 2 oz. I'm still working on a rather generous bag of Luxury Twist Flake that he sold me. I miss his beautiful calligraphy on his handwritten labels and wish I had kept some of them.

I don't remember if we've had this conversation before!

Last edited:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yes, I've been in Portland since '94 and met Steve Books when he was with Rich's. His aged tobaccos were quite unique and he was even more singularly unique himself. I loved buying bulk blends from him at Rich's. On days he was particularly pissed with the boss, he'd give you a big fat bag when you asked for 2 oz. I'm still working on a rather generous bag of Luxury Twist Flake that he sold me. I miss his beautiful calligraphy on his handwritten labels and wish I had kept some of them.

I don't remember if we've had this conversation before!
That’s awesome you knew him from way back when. I got to know him quite well while hanging with him in his House of Calabash shop. Great shop but when I’d be hanging with him for hours on end he’d literally have no customers walk through the door, what a crying shame as it was quite an awesome old fashioned shop.

He did have some stellar blends one of my favorites was called 7 of 9 but I also enjoyed a lot of his aged blends. Some of the blends I bought from him had leaf with 45 plus year age on it at the time.

He was a great dude and I definitely miss him, rip Steven Books.