PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Professor Moriarty

Can't Leave
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I state again, for those in the back of the class, this Theory of Smoking Relativity:
t = t'(d/d')
is intended to be used as follows.

Time how long it takes you to smoke a pipe with chamber depth d', and calculate how long it will take you to smoke a pipe with chamber depth d -- ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL!

This requires proper use of a ruler, clock, and calculator.

If you smoke the first pipe in your usual fashion but smoke the second pipe filled with cheese and riding a roller coaster in the Himalayas, then the Special Theory of Smoking Relativity does not apply.

We need a General Theory of Smoking Relativity to predict smoking during acceleration or in a large gravitational field.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Hillcrest

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Time required to smoke a bowl of tobacco depends only on the depth of the bowl.

PROOF
Consider a bowl of volume V , depth d, and radius r (radius = 1/2 inner diameter) in mm.
V determines how many cubic mm of tobacco the bowl holds when completely filled.

t is the duration of the bowl in minutes (time elapsed from smoking the bowl from top to bottom).

Approximate the shape of the chamber as a cylinder so that V = d*pi*r**2
(Consider the "dish" at the bottom to be unsmoked dottle) WHY??

Assertion: combustion rate C of the tobacco is proportional to surface area of exposed tobacco (pi*r**2).

C = f*pi*r**2, where f is a constant measured in mm/minute and depends on tobacco, packing, puffing, smoking conditions, etc.

duration is proportional to volume and inversely proportional to rate of combustion:
t = V/C = d*pi*r**2 / f*pi*r**2 = d/f
Q.E.D. ONLY IF THE ENTIRE SURFACE AREA IS BURNING AT THE SAME TIME

THEORY OF RELATIVITY
Consider two pipes of different size, one with depth d and the other with depth d':

t =d/f and t' =d'/f
t/t' = d/d'
t = t'(d/d')
Duration is proportional to the ratio of the depths, regardless of radii!

Example
If a certain pipe lasts you 30 minutes, and you wish to know how long it will take to smoke one of your larger bowls (with the same tobacco, packing, puffing, and smoking conditions) simply measure the depths of both pipes, ratio the larger to the smaller and multiply by 30 minutes. This also works going from large bowl to small. I'M RETTY SURE MOST WOULD TELL YOU THAT VERY OFTEN, PACKING, PUFFING AND SMOKING CONDITIONS VARY WHEN YOU GO FROM ONE PIPE TO ANOTHER THAT IS SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT.

As interesting as the exercise was, your theory is unfortunately not valid only for the fact that it is falsifiable. Still, an interesting and whimsical read. :)

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
I think this was written for the benefit of the non pipe smoking guests that happened on this thread. It enforces the idea that pipe smoking is for intellectuals and deep thinkers. Good job. Now folk will think I'm smarter than I am after observing me enjoying a bowl/chamber/smouldering-fire-in-a-wooden-stick. I just hope they don't ask me math questions.

Professor Moriarty

Can't Leave
Apr 13, 2023
United States
and yes, this will be on the final, and no, you will NOT be graded on a curve.

extra credit: Why does pipe smoke have a bluish hue in sunlight, or in any broad spectrum (white) light source?
(hint) It's the same reason the sky is blue.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well this was fun! Sometimes mathematics can be such a load of crap. Just depends on the purpose to which it's put.
Different blends burn differently, depending on the cut, on the processing, the toppings, the moisture content, the pack, and the smoker's cadence. Lots of variables in there.

I remember getting an nice little piece of a flake of vintage Edgeworth slices, maybe it was a little over a third of a flake. This was at the WCPS and I was with some friends at a table and as we continued to chat I just gently smoked that little piece of a flake for about an hour and 15 minutes. We adjourned the table and I continued to enjoy that little nub for another 30 - 40 minutes before it was done. I should add, no relights. Something like Yorktown in the same bowl will last about 45 minutes, if that.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I didn’t do the math, but my most used pipes are .70-.75” by 1.2-1.4”.
I did notice right off that a couple I have of same depth but wider chambers take about 1.5x as much tobacco, and provide the same smoke length.
I’m cheap, so they get used less😉

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty

Can't Leave
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Not me, but it seems no aspect of pipe smoking is left untouched by zealots who measure every thing!
Competitive pipe smoking has always been a thing. It is a timed event. Slowest wins.