PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zak Halfway

Lurker
Feb 4, 2024
In Connacht I've rarely met anyone who wasn't a gentleman, always willing to assist the visitor.

It takes real skill to be fully understood when writing. Satire isn't easy to write. That's why there are so few successful satirists. This is especially true for missives written "from the hip" as so much is with the "net." And, satire is not often fully comprehended by the reader if they are in a different society.

Satire takes real skill and an understanding of one's audience. A world wide audience, as we have here, means many have no grasp of what another is striving to satirize. So, satire is often taken as belligerency or, simply the stupidity of the truly uninformed. Words have meaning and that meaning may change over the miles. Many here are very parochial and can't/won't relate to the dozens of cultures represented on this board.
I other simpler words; put your crayons down.

Jul 12, 2011
So I guess telling someone to hold their breath for an hour / until I finish my pipe if they don't like the smell of it was the wrong thing to do, damn. -- :LOL:

Reactions: Zak Halfway

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I dunno, I still have yet to see where, when someone had to explain that they were joking, that the original joke wasn't blatantly obvious, even on forums and social media.

The only time I've seen where it wasn't an obvious joke, was when the person was serious, it went bad, and then they tried to later claim it was a joke when nobody was on their side. Otherwise, at least to me, jokes have always been pretty blatantly obvious as being jokes.

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Darn …….

View attachment 285721

If you could summarize all the supposedly offensive comments it would be most helpful!
First was a post in @Zak Halfway 's intro thread where I clearly used a meme and said it was a joke about an Irishman giving an Englishman a free car (joke about the troubles), all they had to do was start it(kaboom). Second were lyrics from Come Out Ye Black And Tans.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Also a factor ---

Forums like this are 100% written content, and written humor is a treacherous thing.

Face to face in the real world, what you say isn't nearly as important as how you say it... But on the Interweb? The pixels on your screen only know on and off.

View attachment 285697
That's now become the most difficult thing with my ex. Every text, or email (yes email) I have to use some sort of specific punctuation or emoji, otherwise she takes it wrong and I have to defend myself. Literally one time I asked her to call me so she could hear my voice to understand how I was saying something, not just see words. Good greif. 🤪

Status
Not open for further replies.